Drolet 1800 vs Pacific Energy Super ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Da16652

Nov 1, 2022
Danno59@
Either of these stoves should heat our log home nicely. Appear to be similar in size and construction. Big price difference... Is there a reason ? The Drolet 1800 may be about half the price of the PE. Any thoughts from someone who has experience with either or both? I had a Dutch west catalytic stove for years and really like the simple design of these newer stoves.

Last edited:
The stainless floating baffle design in the PE is superior to the Drolet baffle board imo. But it’s hard to beat the price difference and tax credit of the Drolet.

Reactions: Da16652
There are other differences like the regulated secondary on the Super that extend burn time and the components in the firebox being made of stainless. A better comparison would be to the True North TN20 which is PE's value line. The Super is better compared to the Osburn 2000. That said, the Drolet offers great value, especially when discounted at the end of the season or from Costco. FWIW, the tax credit is dubious. If PE used the same method of evaluation as SBI the Super would also qualify. The IRS has requested info from the stove industry and is expected to tighten review standards.

Reactions: Todd
Have pressing needs or wants for the cash you save by choosing the 1800? The PE is a better product and I’d pay…. (Had to think for a moment) $700 more for it. That gets me 900 so ft of R30 insulation

There are other differences like the regulated secondary on the Super that extend burn time and the components in the firebox being made of stainless. A better comparison would be to the True North TN20 which is PE's value line. The Super is better compared to the Osburn 2000. That said, the Drolet offers great value, especially when discounted at the end of the season or from Costco. FWIW, the tax credit is dubious. If PE used the same method of evaluation as SBI the Super would also qualify. The IRS has requested info from the stove industry and is expected to tighten review standards.
I was not aware the PE Super did not qualify for the tax credit. The website shows it is EPA certified? Is not the same thing?

I grew up using a PE Super.

I currently have an Osburn Matrix (same firebox as the Drolet 1800).

If money isn't too big an issue I'd get the PE Super. IMO it's a better heater. I don't agree with the way Drolet claims to meet the tax credit, nor the compromises made in the firebox to meet EPA 2020 emissions.

The Drolet definitely works however, and represents very good value.

2020 EPA emissions is different that the bio mass tax credit.

I’ll let SBI and the IRS work it out. And file an amnended 2021 return. SBI would likely be on the hook in my opinion. 85% certain it’s won’t come after me for the 500$.

I was not aware the PE Super did not qualify for the tax credit. The website shows it is EPA certified? Is not the same thing?
The 25D tax credit and EPA certification are entirely different things. All stoves sold for residential use must be EPA 2020 certified. The tax credit only applies to stoves with a 75% HHV average or higher. (The PE comes in at 74.9). SBI, is cherry-picking the data for the best run instead of the average which is around 71% IIRC.

Reactions: EbS-P
The 25D tax credit and EPA certification are entirely different things. All stoves sold for residential use must be EPA 2020 certified. The tax credit only applies to stoves with a 75% HHV average or higher. (The PE comes in at 74.9). SBI, is cherry-picking the data for the best run instead of the average which is around 71% IIRC.
Is there a web site with a list of stoves that actually qualify for the tax credit ? And what does SBI stand for?

There's a link to the EPA database in this article:

SBI = Stove Builders International

I had the PE Alderlea T5 whish I believe it's a dressed up version of the Super 27. I loved that stove and would have bought another for my new home if I could afford it. I now have the Drolet 1800. It is a good stove but definitely a step down from the PE. Functionally the PE holds longer logs N/S than the Drolet which will put standard 16" splits at the glass. I could pack more wood into the similar size firebox with the PE. Also the PE has a wider range on the air intake which allows more air in when fully open making it easier to get a fire going from cold without leaving the door open as long.

I visited a dealer who uses the PE summit to heat a large showroom. Very impressive stove that throws a lot of heat…however the price tag (about $5000 with delivery ) really puts it out of reach, especially considering it does not qualify for the tax credit.

Is the Drolet close in size to the Summit or is it closer to the Super? Does it throw the same kind of heat as the Summit? I would really like the PE stove, but realistically the price tag on the Drolet is hard to ignore.

Be careful listening to testimonies from previous super or summit owners. The 2020 emissions regulations triggered a redesign of these stoves in ways that most of us wouldn’t like. They are now labeled LE for low emissions and that usually means a loss of output range in the bottom. Just be sure you’re comparing apples to apples.

The old ones were great but are now illegal to sell new.

Holy carp, that is 100% higher than last year :eek:. The basic pedestal Summit sold for $2200 and was a great value. The fancier Summit Classic sold for around $2700. I'd call around or wait. $5000 is crazy pricing.

Be careful listening to testimonies from previous super or summit owners. The 2020 emissions regulations triggered a redesign of these stoves in ways that most of us wouldn’t like. They are now labeled LE for low emissions and that usually means a loss of output range in the bottom.
I helped put in a new T6 LE. It burns great and the output is excellent. I thought it would have been undersized for their 2400 sq ft home but it's doing very well. They have not complained of overheating in mild weather and last year it did well in 18º weather. Kinda jealous and they were burning oak during that cold snap which is not common around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
Holy carp, that is 100% higher than last year :eek:. The basic pedestal Summit sold for $2200 and was a great value. The fancier Summit Classic sold for around $2700. I'd call around or wait. $5000 is crazy pricing.
The base stove price is about 2650… but that does include legs, door, ash pan or blower which all add up. I was quoting the base price black stove. Tax and delivery brings the price tag a little shy of $5000 with no materials needed for installation

The base stove price is about 2650… but that does include legs, door, ash pan or blower which all add up. I was quoting the base price black stove. Tax and delivery brings the price tag a little shy of $5000 with no materials needed for installation
Are these Canadians bucks?

That still doesn't compute unless something else was added. The ash system is std., so are the black legs and door. The blower adds about $350, fancy door and legs another $600, so figure a thousand added to the $2650. Tax on $3650 is $219.
At that point it is not fair a tricked out stove price to compare to the Drolet. The basic pedestal version is a fair comparison price-wise, though the PE is a superior design IMO.

That still doesn't compute unless something else was added. The ash system is std., so are the black legs and door. The blower adds about $350, fancy door and legs another $600, so figure a thousand added to the $2650. . At that point it is not fair to compare to the Drolet. The basic pedestal version is a fair comparison price-wise, though the PE is a superior design IMO.
In addition to base stove price I was quoted $461 blower, $691 for black door, $229 for leg kit and $350 for ash pan system. Pa sales tax is 6% plus an additional home delivery fee. Are these numbers the norm?

I would call around. This is the first time I have heard about charging for standard items on the Classic. However, inventory is low so it's a seller's market.

I would call around. This is the first time I have heard about charging for standard items on the Classic. However, inventory is low so it's a seller's market.what items are normally considered standard? I have not bought a new wood stove in about 30 years.

What items are normally standard? My last new stove purchase was about 30 years ago….

Any thoughts on whether the Drolet 1800 compares with the summit or super, size wise and heat output considered?

Are there any other stoves of similar quality, size and heat output that I should consider?

Last edited:
Any thoughts on whether the Drolet 1800 compares with the summit or super, size wise and heat output considered.
If these were cars, the Drolet would get you from point A to point B...with the PE you will enjoy the ride more...

The black door, legs, and ash system are standard on the Classic. The ash system is optional on the standard Summit.

The 2.4 cu ft Drolet 1800 falls in between the 2 cu ft Super and the 3 cu ft Summit. It is a good stove and a nice value, but more comparable to PE's value line with the True North TN20.