Drolet 1800i Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crhyner

Mar 13, 2021
Yonkers, NY
Hi,

As I approach the end of my first season with my insert, I'm totally in love with it. I'm thinking about cleaning it - can hire someone or do it myself. Am I to understand that to clean the Drolet 1800i, I can just buy the Sooteater, attach it to my drill, remove the baffle, and do it myself? Any other tips? How do I remove the baffle? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thank you.

Charlie

Hi,

As I approach the end of my first season with my insert, I'm totally in love with it. I'm thinking about cleaning it - can hire someone or do it myself. Am I to understand that to clean the Drolet 1800i, I can just buy the Sooteater, attach it to my drill, remove the baffle, and do it myself? Any other tips? How do I remove the baffle? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thank you.

Charlie
To Remove baffle you need to take out the front two or three burn tubes. Check the manual for which way they turn. Turn 90 degrees (vicegrips or channel locks if they are tight. slide one way drop the free end down and slide the other end out. The baffle can then tip back up front down and slide out.

Be careful the baffle is VERY fragile.

I have easy and safe access to my roof and chimney. I just pull the baffle. Put an old cardboard box In The stove, close the door and sweep it top down. Wear a pair of disposable gloves and there is zero mess. I do think it is a good idea to get a good look at you cap. Make sure your top plate is still sealed and no places that could leak.