Drolet 1800i-Do I need Fresh Air Intake??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carl_Bunyon

Feb 8, 2021
Missouri
Hello Again,
I took delivery of Drolet 1800i insert. It is going into my steel fire box built inside full masonry fireplace. The original masonry fireplace has 4 passive air vents, two up higher, two lower. My installer (HVAC Contractor with limited epxperience with new EPA models) stopped by to case it out before coming next week to install. Some questions:
1. After we cut hole in fire box to run flue pipe and seal it back up with flashing, how would the insert get air for combustion once we install faceplate?
2. If it does need fresh air, can we cut hole in fire box and get fresh air from one of the indirect vents?
3. The installer suggested we run fresh air intake to exterior of the house. However, after he left, I found in the install manual that it is not recommended to bring in outside air typically. Do the new EPA 2020 type inserts have different requirements than older models?
I am new to all this and could use some guidance.
Thank you in advance,

The insert will normally pull its combustion air from the room. It does have an outside air option that is mostly used if there is already an ashpit door that can act as a supply source. The Escape 1800i manual goes into specific details for adding an outside air intake in Appendix 2, on page 49.

T
The insert will normally pull its combustion air from the room. It does have an outside air option that is mostly used if there is already an ashpit door that can act as a supply source. The Escape 1800i manual goes into specific details for adding an outside air intake in Appendix 2, on page 49.
Thanks for response. But will it get enough air inside a sealed fire box with the trim cover sealing up around the unit? The manual says room supplied is normally adequate. What variables should i consider to run a fresh air intake to the exterior or just thru the masonry fireplace and get room air?

The air gets pulled in from the front of the blower. The blower takes air from the sides of the blower unit. I think the major factor is how tightly air sealed you house is.

I’m guessing by the heat form metal fireplace it’s not new enough unless you have done significant work upgrading insulation and air sealing.

It’s goin to be quite a bit of work to install the air intake. So unless you know you have a really well sealed house I would not install the OAK.

Evan

T

Thanks for response. But will it get enough air inside a sealed fire box with the trim cover sealing up around the unit? The manual says room supplied is normally adequate. What variables should i consider to run a fresh air intake to the exterior or just thru the masonry fireplace and get room air?
It doesn't take the combustion air from inside the fireplace unless that side cover is removed. It takes it from the front, room air.

Reactions: EbS-P
Looking at your insert, it seems to work like mine. Air for the room blower comes in from the bottom and out the top. I'd say combustion air can come easily through the same intake vents. Plus, I have found that it doesn't take that much of an opening for combustion air.