Drolet ECO-45 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rick31797

Feb 16, 2010
Canada
I bought this stove new Jan 2014,and the first year it was used about 8 hrs a day 3 days a week, and 2015 through tell now its been used about 8 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Just a week ago, when i turn it on, it sounds like the blower combustion motor is going, at start i hear a noise, and as it runs for about 5 mins the noise goes away until , we start it the next day.

I have not taken it apart to see if the motor is the issue, but if it was a loose vibration noise, i would think it would be there all the time..

I am wondering if any body else with the same stove had the same issue..I see the combustion motor here in Canada is 300.00.. yikes....

I bought this stove new Jan 2014,and the first year it was used about 8 hrs a day 3 days a week, and 2015 through tell now its been used about 8 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Just a week ago, when i turn it on, it sounds like the blower combustion motor is going, at start i hear a noise, and as it runs for about 5 mins the noise goes away until , we start it the next day.

I have not taken it apart to see if the motor is the issue, but if it was a loose vibration noise, i would think it would be there all the time..

I am wondering if any body else with the same stove had the same issue..I see the combustion motor here in Canada is 300.00.. yikes....

Those motors can often be rebuilt if you can find a good motor repair shop. If rebuilt properly they can outlast the factory replacements. Also make sure the motor air vents are not plugged with dust bunnies. Also if there is buildup of combustion carbon on the part that is inside the exhaust flow this can put it off balance and make it noisy.

I have a similar situation. It is due to the fact that the motor housing is steel, and the mounting plate is aluminum. When the motor was new, all was well. Now, the steel cover rattles until the aluminum plate expands (due to heat) and again grips the steel housing tightly enough so it won't rattle. Annoying, but it goes away after 10 minutes or so when the stove gets hot. I've tried various ways to "shrink" the steel housing so it's tight again, no luck so far. Maybe you have the same situation...

Iinteresting, i will have to open it up and see if this is what is happening, i contacted Drolet to see what they suggest, if this is an on going issue they may have a fix for it..

I have a similar situation. It is due to the fact that the motor housing is steel, and the mounting plate is aluminum. When the motor was new, all was well. Now, the steel cover rattles until the aluminum plate expands (due to heat) and again grips the steel housing tightly enough so it won't rattle. Annoying, but it goes away after 10 minutes or so when the stove gets hot. I've tried various ways to "shrink" the steel housing so it's tight again, no luck so far. Maybe you have the same situation...

A bead of high temp silicone over the seam between the cover and plate and allowed to cure should do the trick.

I tried that. It works - for a while, but the vibration eventually tore the silicon loose, rattle returned.

Sounds like a good idea - I'll give it a try!