Drolet Eco 65 (older version) smoldering after running out of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skistud105

Nov 17, 2015
baltimore, md
Hi. I have older version of Eco 65. I just called Drolet because I had an issue again with pellets coming out into burn pot after running out of pellets. This happened about three weeks ago and again last night.

Here's the problem:
Stove runs out of pellets; shuts down properly and then it seems like a few pellets are remaining (presumable in auger 1) and they are fed into Auger 2 then end up in my burn pot. They then smolder and the smoke comes back out around the door, etc. and fills my basement with smoke. This hasn't happened during normal shut down; only when it runs out of pellets and then get the E Code. I called Drolet this morning and they didn't really have a good reason other than a few may have been stuck in auger and then fed out. He said Auger 1 should stop at 115 degrees exhaust temp. I guess the next best thing to do is to let it run out of pellets and see if auger 1 is still moving after 115 degrees during shutdown. I'm going to vacuum out hopper. Not sure if that has anything to do with this.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks!

Keep us posted on what you find out but ... I would just keep the hopper filled so it doesn't run out!:)

Got me thinking ... dangerous at the best of times! Does a new version board have a longer run time on the exhaust fan for an E code?

Got me thinking ... dangerous at the best of times! Does a new version board have a longer run time on the exhaust fan for an E code?

That's a good question. I guess there is a way to change the time it takes for it to completely shut down. It was disheartening to have Drolet not really have anything constructive to say, although he did mention that that smoke should not be coming out from around door and I might have a draft issue, but I definitely have more vertical rise than horizontal. I have another piece of long pipe I might add to vertical outside to see if it solves smoke coming out of stove door issue. It does have OAK, so that seemed to be his biggest question.

I love the stove, but it definitely is a work in progress, even after 3 years!

When I shut it down for cleaning clinkers will sty hot in burn pot for 1.5 hrs. any unburnt pellets will continue to smolder. Check seal on ash door and glass door. When new mine was flat allowing smoke to seep out into basement. Ash door tab has to welded on out side or it just bends when you try to tight it to seal. Also I have lowered ext temp to 99 degrees. There is a thread on how to adjust the limits for this stove on this site.

When I shut it down for cleaning clinkers will sty hot in burn pot for 1.5 hrs. any unburnt pellets will continue to smolder. Check seal on ash door and glass door. When new mine was flat allowing smoke to seep out into basement. Ash door tab has to welded on out side or it just bends when you try to tight it to seal. Also I have lowered ext temp to 99 degrees. There is a thread on how to adjust the limits for this stove on this site.

Thank you so much! Is there anyway you can post a pic of the weld? I am going to lower temp as well as replace the seals. Thanks again.

I just had to plump up seal with my finge
IMG_20160303_1021411.jpg
rs.

Status
Not open for further replies.