Drolet Escape 1800 in an Alcove? First stove ever!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaBurner87

Sep 17, 2021
New York
So I have asked quite a few questions here, and most of them are hard to answer without a stove picked out. I am just about to pull the trigger on this Drolet Escape 1800 model via Costco. It has good reviews, and should have no problem covering my 1000 Sq Ft or so. I have an abundance of wood, but I don't burn a ton because the fireplace we have is on the other side of the house. When the house was renovated the old living room with the fireplace just became a "back room" and we hardly ever go back there. I'm hoping this stove will change that, as the main living room is open and extends into the den and kitchen where more heat is needed.

My goal is to build an alcove for this stove, and I want it to look amazing. When you walk in the front door it would be the first thing you see. So the goal isn't just to heat the space here and there, but to look beautiful as well. The problem I'm having is with clearances. I don't want it to stick out too far into the living room. I want it nestled in as tight as possible.

My issues are in regards to building the alcove. I'm reading in the manual that with a double walled pipe it only needs to be 9 inches off the back wall? There is mention of a heat shield, but I'm not sure if it's included or something I have to purchase separately? Then it also states 19 inches off the side walls. The frontal clearance confuses me as the fireplace shop I spoke with said you need 18 inches in front of the stove on every stove, however I have seen many builds that don't allocate for that space. I've also seen others get around it by putting a floor mat or small hearth pad down in front. I just want my install to be up to code.

I'm good when it comes to construction, I got all the tools, and I used to do mason work, but I have no experience with fireplaces or wood burning stoves. I also have a design idea I'm floating in my head that I'm not sure I can explain properly. What makes an alcove an alcove? How is it defined per code? Lastly but not least, how effective is triple walled piping vs double? Hopefully I can finally make a purchase and start this build soon. Thanks for bearing with me.

Same rules apply as mentioned in the other 3 threads.

With double-wall stovepipe the Escape 1800 needs 77" alcove ceiling height and 9" behind the stove.

Why build an alcove? It greatly complicates the install where a showcase hearth can do visual justice with less clearance concerns.

Follow the guidance provided in the past 3 threads and the stove manual.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 6.49.54 PM.png

Begreen, that value for K says 48 inches. But is that just 48 inches from furniture? Is that where I should use a hearth pad?

Same rules apply as mentioned in the other 3 threads.

With double-wall stovepipe the Escape 1800 needs 77" alcove ceiling height and 9" behind the stove.

Why build an alcove? It greatly complicates the install where a showcase hearth can do visual justice with less clearance concerns.
I really like having a mantle.

29b9b7e8c0f0c7babd4e7539a1aacad1.jpg

This is the look I love. And I have space on both sides for the built in shelving. Not sure how legal this mantel is though.

Begreen, that value for K says 48 inches. But is that just 48 inches from furniture? Is that where I should use a hearth pad?
Distance from the front of the stove to the nearest combustible. The hearth requirements are another page.

I really like having a mantle.
That can be done without an alcove as long as clearances are honored. A picture was posted in the previous thread illustrating this. Did you see it?

View attachment 282435

This is the look I love. And I have space on both sides for the built in shelving. Not sure how legal this mantel is though.
The long baseboard heater sticking out 22" from the wall kind of messes with the plan. So does the low budget. The other threads have gone over what would be required to do something like this, ie: an entirely non-combustible enclosure. Even with an inexpensive Drolet, the cost of this project if code legal could be in the $5000 range.