Drolet Escape 1800 insert metal faceplace clearance from top of insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Keithec

Oct 24, 2023
Rochester Hills, Michigan
I have a Drolet Escape 1800 fireplace insert. How much clearance from the top of the inserts heatshield to the bottom of the metal faceplate should there be? The blower motor kicks on at the proper temperature but there isn't any airflow coming from the top of the insert. The representative at Drolet stated that the blower motor sucks in the rooms air and blows it out the top of the insert. they recommended 1" from the top of the insert (heatshield) to the bottom of the metal faceplate. Can someone concur if this is true? The installation manual doesn't mention this at all. Thank you.

I have a Drolet Escape 1800 fireplace insert. How much clearance from the top of the inserts heatshield to the bottom of the metal faceplate should there be? The blower motor kicks on at the proper temperature but there isn't any airflow coming from the top of the insert. The representative at Drolet stated that the blower motor sucks in the rooms air and blows it out the top of the insert. they recommended 1" from the top of the insert (heatshield) to the bottom of the metal faceplate. Can someone concur if this is true? The installation manual doesn't mention this at all. Thank you.
Did you figure this out??

Just confirming as I set up my dad's stove 2 weeks ago.

When you slide the blower under the ash shelf, the top of the blower should be open and visible (enclosed side down) to ensure the blower is sucking AIR IN under the stove. upside-down blower will not move air in the proper direction.

Once stove is hot, blower will trip on and blow air around the back of the stove and out the TOP, the 1/2 in or 1 inch wrench slot where you had to tighten the bolt to secure the surround. Also, place a large metal washer around the Rheostat so that it touches the stove and kicks on earlier. Worth the 5 minute upgrade to maximize the blower operation.

If you don't know the bolt I am referring too, the surround may not be positioned correctly and blocking the outlet.