Drolet heat pack set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Getwidit

Aug 28, 2019
Stuyvesant ny
Hi, to start I just purchased a drolet heat pack. I'm very green to indoor wood burning. I've had outdoor boilers in the past but that's about my extent..

anyway to start I'm going to run my exhaust up an existing outside of house chimney that is accessible through the foundation wall. Currently my furnace runs through it. I has a 9x13 clay flu liner. I planned on running a 6inch flex liner with 1/2 inch insulation for the heat pack. And running the furnace up with a 5 inch flex no insulation.

My next set up questions is hooking into duct work. I have two main smooth 8x22 inch trunks running the length of the basement about 18 ft. Which then feeds 4 lines on the first floor. And 3 on the secon . My return is similar except it only feeds from the first 2 registers.. my original thoughts were to put the heat pack directly under the main home run. Cutting a hole in the top of the plenum and piping it directly do the line. Any thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190902-085624_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190902-085624_Drive.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 20190902_091132.jpg
    20190902_091132.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 358
6 inch pipe has 27 sq inch area multiply that by 6 and you get 169.646 sq inches. My main trunk 8x22= 176 sq inches. So I'm assuming that should have no problem supplying. Would it be more intelligent to just pipe 6 lines into the main trunk instead of one big on?

my original thoughts were to put the heat pack directly under the main home run. Cutting a hole in the top of the plenum and piping it directly do the line. Any thoughts.
Bingo.
The only question would be if your trunk line has proper CTC (clearance to combustibles) fossil fuel ducts usually don't.
You might have to set the furnace elsewhere and then run a duct(s) over to existing...check the duct clearances in the manual...usually the first 6-10' need to have 6" CTC

Reactions: Gearhead660
What I'm seeing is 5 inches off the top of plenum and 1 inche off the ducts past a ft. And the main trunk line is attached directly to the joists. I can lower it an inch easy enough.

Ok, that's a little tighter CTC than I have run into before...never fooled with a Heatpack before though either.
On a different subject...you ordered one, what Friday, or Saturday? I see they have a $200 rebate on them now starting Sept 1 :rolleyes:

SCORE on that liner kit!
Sounds like you did fine overall

Well kind of.... when I added it to my cart it was 150. When I check my statement it was 350.... so I'll be calling tomorrow. The sale must have ended by the time the I clicked purchase ‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190902-102337_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190902-102337_Drive.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 325
Sounds like liner special in August and rebate in September...you should be able to work something out...

That would probably work. You could also just make one...just a piece of 24-26 ga sheet metal (duct metal) mount an 1/8" rod on one side for a hinge pin. Rivet or screw some sheet metal or angle inside the plenum or duct for it to sit on.
Would this be going on the oil furnace?

That would probably work. You could also just make one...just a piece of 24-26 ga sheet metal (duct metal) mount an 1/8" rod on one side for a hinge pin. Rivet or screw some sheet metal or angle inside the plenum or duct for it to sit on.
Would this be going on the oil furnace?
yessir I wanted it to work seamlessly though.

Can anyone tell me why the starter start-off adapters have so much play when you connect to a “6 round duct? Are the start-off ducts really 5 ½”?

There is at least ¼” of play!

IMG_3931.jpg

Last edited: