Drolet Heat Pro Install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dchance

Jan 14, 2020
MO
Since joining this forum this group has been a great resource of info in helping me replace my old wore out wood furnace. Looking into the Drolet Heat Pro....

So, is the plenum on top of the furnace necessary? I ask because of height. With the plenum it wont fit into the current supply duct. Can I remove the plenum and attach current ductwork to the top of the furnace?

You may get more experienced answers in the wood stove/furnace side of the forums. I have never seen one in person so can’t comment on the mod.

Yeah, better have a mod move this to the boiler room for better exposure...and we will need pics of your existing ductwork to see what you are talking about exactly...and the plenum height is adjustable on the HP...just FYI.

15794848393238745837256387934123.jpg
15794849228795887799743003575669.jpg

Wow, that's a different setup...what's the height up to the main duct runs?

Hot air supply in the front. Cold air coming into the top of the furnace in the back. Cold air then runs from wood furnace to lo furnace

Ceiling is about 82. Top of furnace where duct connects is 52
OK, so the bottom of the main supply duct runs is what, 72"?
Your existing wood furnace plenum setup will not work with the HP (or any other furnace for that matter) but the plenum that comes with the HP can be adapted to your system though (once the current wood furnace plenums are removed, or modified)...you can do it yourself if you are handy...most parts can be bought at supply houses, big box (I like Menards) or you could even have a sheet metal or HVAC shop custom make stuff for you...

Where the blue turns silver is 52" shet metal screws and it comes out. I was wondering if the HP without its plenum (if possible) would fit in its place....
So in pic, blue part gone replaced my HP

Well the HP should certainly fit in the basement...you might be able to make it work with your existing plenum...its sheet metal, so almost anything is possible if you have the room...but I still think it would be easier to take the old plenums out and adapt the HP's plenum to your ducts...but you are there, I'm not, you would know exactly what you are dealing with better than me. That looks to be a much easier install than when I shoehorned my Kuuma in!

Reactions: dchance
Keep in mind, SBI says you have to use a minimum of (6)(IIRC) of those 6" duct connections...so that's ~170 sq inches of duct to be connected (minimum) in total...or ~85" per side...that's only a 8.5"x10" duct each side...and you look to have much larger ducts than that...personally, I would rivet sheet metal over their 6" holes and then cut my own hole in to connect up your square ducts...just spitballin here...

The real basic question is, is the plenum on the HP required to stay on? or is it simply a convenience to users to hook their hot air supply to?

The real basic question is, is the plenum on the HP required to stay on? or is it simply a convenience to users to hook their hot air supply to?
I'm pretty sure the original Tundra's didn't come with a plenum. I know my Caddy and the new Caddy's they sell do not. The Caddy is just a higher end version of the HP / Tundra II but has pretty much the same overall physical dimensions.

Reactions: dchance
I'm pretty sure the original Tundra's didn't come with a plenum. I know my Caddy and the new Caddy's they sell do not. The Caddy is just a higher end version of the HP / Tundra II but has pretty much the same overall physical dimensions.
T1 did not use a plenum...but we seen how well that worked out! ;lol
I would think you could get away with not using their plenum...but whatever you do use would need to be similar IMO...you'd need to check with them for sure...hate see you void your warranty!
What's the big attraction to keeping the existing metal?

T1 did not use a plenum...but we seen how well that worked out! ;lol
I would think you could get away with not using their plenum...but whatever you do use would need to be similar IMO...you'd need to check with them for sure...hate see you void your warranty!
What's the big attraction to keeping the existing metal?
If you look up at the pic the blue furnace is roughly the same size at the HP without the plenum. I was hoping to slide the blue out and replace with the HP and make the minor adjustments to hook it up. Then redirect the cold air to work in the back. Less duct modification

Reactions: sloeffle
But the HP is almost a foot taller, isn't it?
52" vs 63.75"

And the HP uses a 26" square plenum, yours looks smaller?

no, that is with the plenum. looks to be 49" and change
Ah, yes, you are right, I read the drawing wrong...and if your plenum is 28" square, then it should be pretty easy to make an adapter...

Ah, yes, you are right, I read the drawing wrong...and if your plenum is 28" square, then it should be pretty easy to make an adapter...
correct! that is my hope, unless for some reason it is absolutely necessary to use the provided plenum with HP but I wouldn't think so.

correct! that is my hope, unless for some reason it is absolutely necessary to use the provided plenum with HP but I wouldn't think so.

Safe bet would be to call Drolet and ask them. FWIW if had that set up I would do it the same way, slip the HeatPro right under that existing hot side duct work. Be sure to hook up the cold air return so you are not drawing from a cold concrete floor.