Drolet HT1600 wood stove baffle isolator pads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zorkomatic

Aug 17, 2022
MA
I have an Ashley APS-1600 wood stove, brand new NOS, that I just finished installing. The last component I need is the two "isolator" pads that go above the bricks at the top, which I believe is called the "baffle". The manual does not identify either the material nor the thickness, just the length and width (9.5" x 12"), qty 2. Is this just a ceramic or mineral fiber pad, or are they vermiculite boards? What thickness goes there? The stove is the same as the Drolet HT-1600 and many others. The OEM is Warnock Hersey who is apparently not in business anymore.

Warnock Hershey is the testing lab. Pretty sure us stove company is the manufacturer.

Reactions: Zorkomatic
Damn... this huge label in the back is confusing. WARNOCK HERSEY in huge letters at the top, and... DROLET in small letters at the bottom. <sigh> Thanks, that helps, a lot. :)

Damn... this huge label in the back is confusing. WARNOCK HERSEY in huge letters at the top, and... DROLET in small letters at the bottom. <sigh> Thanks, that helps, a lot. :)
If it says Drolet, it's not an Ashley. Can you post clear pictures of the stove and the rear label?

Yeah, it's definitely a discontinued Drolet HT-1600. 🙄

20220724_124938.jpg

I can already tell this place is going to remind me to be humble. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, it's definitely a discontinued Drolet HT-1600. 🙄

View attachment 301677

I can already tell this place is going to remind me to be humble. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
In that case call SBI stove builders international. They are the Canadian company that makes drolet

And this also solved the question of the pads. It's fireproof insulation, 9.5" x 12" x 1" qty 2. Now I have to figure out what to do with the other 99 feet Lowes wants to sell me. 😂😂

It's a Drolet HT-1600 according to the label. You can get the correct baffle boards, if that's what's missing. They are rigid, not sold in rolls, and not something normally sold at Lowes.

Before proceeding, show us a picture of the interior of the stove for the missing parts. We may spot something else missing.

Also, please post a picture of the whole installation, indoors and outside. It really should be reviewed to be sure something has not been missed. This is for your own safety.

And this also solved the question of the pads. It's fireproof insulation, 9.5" x 12" x 1" qty 2. Now I have to figure out what to do with the other 99 feet Lowes wants to sell me. 😂😂
Don't buy from Lowes you want 1" ceramic wool blanket you can get it from any chimney supplier or Amazon. That is assuming you have the baffle boards

It's a Drolet HT-1600 according to the label. You can get the correct baffle boards, if that's what's missing. They are rigid, not sold in rolls, and not something normally sold at Lowes.

Before proceeding, show us a picture of the interior of the stove for the missing parts. We may spot something else missing.

Also, please post a picture of the whole installation, indoors and outside. It really should be reviewed to be sure something has not been missed. This is for your own safety.
The interior of the stove is not missing parts, I have the Drolet owner's manual and all the parts are there except the blankets, which got pulled out by someone. Don't know why.

20221030_110453.jpg20221030_122718.jpg20221030_122726.jpg
That raised edge on the sheet metal where the chimney exits the wall will be fixed to make it flush.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
Nice looking setup. You've done well.

There was some confusion initially with both the stove and the naming of the parts. I wasn't sure if it was missing the baffle boards, or baffle insulation blanket that goes on top of the baffle boards, or both. I updated the thread title for the stove model.

Cold weather is coming. If you have done as good a job with getting a good supply of fully seasoned wood together, this should be a cozy winter.

Nice looking setup. You've done well.

There was some confusion initially with both the stove and the naming of the parts. I wasn't sure if it was missing the baffle boards, or baffle insulation blanket that goes on top of the baffle boards, or both. I updated the thread title for the stove model.

Cold weather is coming. If you have done as good a job with getting a good supply of fully seasoned wood together, this should be a cozy winter.

Thanks. I bought two tons of https://www.ecoheatfirelogs.com/ from another Marine in Virginia. Misha, the handyman, was driving me crazy wanting to bring wood from his rural home. (His favorite phrase is "You know what?" with a thick Russian accent). He finally realized why I politely declined when he saw the two pallets on my driveway.

20221021_094046.jpg

Burning this fuel exclusively is a different process than burning wood. Take small steps. Start with 4 blocks stacked in a teepee or lincoln logs style. That will provide heat without risk of overfire. Do they provide wood stove burning instructions for the product?

As noted in the other thread the bricks need much better weather protection. If they get even a little wet they degrade into sawdust mush and are worthless. They are much safer stored in a garage or dry shed.

Last edited:
Umm... the bricks are wood, that sawdust by-product of hardwood used for furniture, flooring, etc. They come wrapped in strong plastic to protect them from moisture. I certainly can't store 4400 pounds of this inside the home. ;lol

OK, they looked unwrapped. I didn't see the plastic in the picture. They are compressed sawdust. If they get wet they degrade, quickly. Trust me, I have seen it happen and some very unhappy campers have also reported it here on H.com.

Yes, it's impossible to see the plastic from the pictures. I have blue tarp, I can also cover them with that. We'll see, it's the first year I use them.

Looking closer I see the plastic wrap now. If the bundles are 100% sealed that will help a lot.
I sent them an email asking about proper burning in a woodstove because I didn't find this on their website. Did instructions come with the shipment?

Yes, it's just like any other pressed-wood log. Set up a teepee and put a starter in the middle. My stove has a draught control in the front (the manufacturer says not to use a damper) so I'll be monitoring and adjusting the first few burns.

Teepee or Lincoln log stacking of 4 bricks is a good way to start. Log burning is different than bricks. That's why I asked.
BioBricks website shows a different method for longer burns by making a wall of bricks. That is what I tested and it worked well, but I would not do that at first.

Hmm, ok. I need to do small burns first to make sure the paint is cured (even though the stove is new but was in storage for years). No big deal, I'll just take it slowly. Not like when I learned to use WillyPete grenades in boot camp. Woohoo! Need a 4" hole straight through that tank engine block? Coming right up! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The BioBrick web site shows the same thing, a teepee to start the first, then push coals to the back then build Pink Floyd's Wall. ?

Umm... the bricks are wood, that sawdust by-product of hardwood used for furniture, flooring, etc. They come wrapped in strong plastic to protect them from moisture. I certainly can't store 4400 pounds of this inside the home. ;lol
The plastic on the ones I have used definitely was not enough to protect them stored like that. I would pay close attention and if they start to swell you need to figure out different storage

The plastic on the ones I have used definitely was not enough to protect them stored like that. I would pay close attention and if they start to swell you need to figure out different storage

Yes, good point, though as it gets colder the outside humidity will continue to drop. I'll put the blue tarp on it this weekend anyway.

Reactions: bholler