Drolet or BK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can the Ht 2000 be controlled so as to prevent cooking me out of the room ?
Yes, you're the one running it. In milder weather just load less wood or use lower btu wood. It got up to 51º here today and our house was not overheating.

Go with the BK, you'll be amazed like was. After half dozen other stoves, none of them a cat, I would never own another type stove. Be done with it,

We, the BK idiots don't have to adjust the load according to if is cold or hot outside. We the idiots just go for an inside steady house temperature. We filled them up like idiots every 24 to 30 hrs, sometimes more;)
I love to be idiot;lol
No one called anyone an idiot. I just get tiered of the contant claims from bk guys that non cats cant be controlled. Yes it takes more thought. But they also cost allot more and if your btu load is high they may not be worth it. Bks are great stoves and it may be right for this situation but i think the origonal poster should have the right info about both types of stove so they can make their decision.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Check out the Jotul F55. I get 10-12 hr burns daily, and it's approved for open door fires so one can get the campfire vibe going

No one called anyone an idiot. I just get tiered of the contant claims from bk guys that non cats cant be controlled. Yes it takes more thought. But they also cost allot more and if your btu load is high they may not be worth it. Bks are great stoves and it may be right for this situation but i think the origonal poster should have the right info about both types of stove so they can make their decision.
I just made a joke out of it, I know that the meaning possibly was that they are easy to use and not an offense. But at the same time the OP need to know how BK works, after all is part of the OP question.

I just made a joke out of it, I know that the meaning possibly was that they are easy to use and not an offense. But at the same time the OP need to know how BK works, after all is part of the OP question.
Yes they do and without a doubt they are very easy to control.

As soon as you mentioned BK, the cult that "drank the kool-aid and saw aliens" is going to weigh in... I'm one of them. I ran a Regency 2400 for ten years in an 1800 square foot, open plan house with 17' vaulted ceilings and I was always in my underwear - it was always so hot! Even on low burn, if it wasn't -10C outside the house was always on the edge of being too warm. And we rarely got overnight burns with a 2.3cf box, unless I got up at 5am to through a couple of sticks in to get me to 7. We've been running a BK Ashford since the beginning of December, almost continuously in a newly renovated 1974, one level, 2400 square foot house. Stove room, about 350 square feet, rarely gets above 23/24, rest of the house, 20-22. Minumum burn times 12-14 hours...one as long as 26. Load it, set it, and forget it. Can't imagine heating with another non-cat stove again. My money would be on the BK.

Last edited:
Reactions: lsucet
I hear few complaints about not being able to control non cats from any posters but the bk guys.

I moved into a new house this year i did take my old stove but everything else is completly different. And this season i only had the house to hot once. I hit 81 but we were also running both ovens and had 12 people over. Other than that i have been able to pretty easily keep it in the mid 70s. And no i dont start fires all the time in warmer weather. I just make sure i have a good ash bed and i always load atleast one peice of white oak or locust. Doing that there will be coals left to restart from in 24 hours if it takes that long before i need more heat. But i usually run on a 12 hour cycle in the shoulder seasons. I load in the morning and evening the size and species of the load will vary depending on the heating needs.

Reactions: Happy Stacker
Yes they do and without a doubt they are very easy to control.
@bholler , I understand you but at the same time you are missing an important point. Most of BK owners burnt before non cat stoves. I don't think they're justifying the BK prices or not accepting they made an expensive mistake cause there are non cat stoves out there that cost the same and more than a BK. I will not include me cause my experience with stoves don't have a long history. 99% of them don't go back. I think that is a point to take into account.
Now saying that I will not go back neither, I have to accept that the fire view is great and the heat is good. So is the BK. You just learn to use the heat out of the stove that keep an steady temperature and you marry that setting. Sorry is different. That is all, not bashing any other stove or brand.

I dont find running my stove that way to be hard at all but for some they may not want to. And that is fine somthing with easier control would fit their needs better. It all comes down to what fits your need and budget.

I dont find running my stove that way to be hard at all but for some they may not want to. And that is fine somthing with easier control would fit their needs better. It all comes down to what fits your need and budget.
The BK boys have circled the wagons @bholler , look out! ;lol

@bholler , I understand you but at the same time you are missing an important point. Most of BK owners burnt before non cat stoves. I don't think they're justifying the BK prices or not accepting they made an expensive mistake cause there are non cat stoves out there that cost the same and more than a BK. I will not include me cause my experience with stoves don't have a long history. 99% of them don't go back. I think that is a point to take into account.
Now saying that I will not go back neither, I have to accept that the fire view is great and the heat is good. So is the BK. You just learn to use the heat out of the stove that keep an steady temperature and you marry that setting. Sorry is different. That is all, not bashing any other stove or brand.
To be clear i am in no way whatsoever against bk stoves at all. And no i havnt missed that point i hear the bk guys here talk about how their houses were always to hot etc before they got their bk. My point is that wast the stoves fault. That just tells me they didnt size their stove right didnt place it right or didnt learn how to run it properly for their setup.

And there is nothing wrong with that. I just like to point out that dispite what some claim bks are not the only stoves that can heat a house consistently. But i will admit they are the easiest.

As soon as you mentioned BK, the cult that "drank the kool-aid and saw aliens" is going to weigh in... I'm one of them. I ran a Regency 2400 for ten years in an 1800 square foot, open plan house with 17' vaulted ceilings and I was always in my underwear - it was always so hot! Even on low burn, if it wasn't -10C outside the house was always on the edge of being too warm. And we rarely got overnight burns with a 2.3cf box, unless I got up at 5am to through a couple of sticks in to get me to 7. We've been running a BK Ashford since the beginning of December, almost continuously in a newly renovated 1974, one level, 2400 square foot house. Stove room, about 350 square feet, rarely gets above 23/24, rest of the house, 20-22. Minumum burn times 12-14 hours...one as long as 26. Load it, set it, and forget it. Can't imagine heating with another non-cat stove again. My money would be on the BK.

I hope you will not post any pictures.

To @Stove?, You can't go wrong with either or any stove you decide to go with. After all they all have something in common, they give you heat. They all have a learning curve. Saying so, if you plan to move in 24/7 in near future I will recommend the BK.

Reactions: bholler
If you plan on moving in soon and will be retired get the HT2000. The 12 hr loading cycles will give you something to do ;) and you can put the savings into getting some good fishing gear.

If you plan on moving in soon and will be retired get the HT2000. The 12 hr loading cycles will give you something to do ;) and you can put the savings into getting some good fishing gear.
Get the Princess and spend more time fishing...;lol

Reactions: begreen and lsucet
Oh I didn't realize the pissing contest was over and we're back to making stove recs. Jotul F55- very simple, low maintenance stove

Ever called Jotul to speak with them, should you have an issue?
Give it a rest. There are not many issues with modern Jotuls to call them about and a good dealer will go to bat for you.

I have dealt with them because our local dealer is worthless and they are pretty easy to deal with.

Don't think this was an aggressive comment. Just a data point.

The dealers around me are terrible. I tried them all out, multiple times. I don't want to work with a company who rely on agents who don't care. Not for something that I rely upon to keep my family warm.

Sorry if that offended somehow.

Don't think this was an aggressive comment. Just a data point.

The dealers around me are terrible. I tried them all out, multiple times. I don't want to work with a company who rely on agents who don't care. Not for something that I rely upon to keep my family warm.

Sorry if that offended somehow.
Yes some dealers are bad every company has that. But i found that jotul was not hard to work with bypassing the dealer

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
ED, have you owned a Jotul and had a problem? When I needed a new back for my F602 they were super helpful. They even found one in the matching enamel color.

FWIW, unfortunately there are bad dealers for every brand of stove.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000