Drop in DHW temp....don't know why

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jashcroft

May 5, 2009
Western PA
I have an Econburn 150 that use to heat my home and domestic hot water. For the past few weeks, my domestic hot water hasn't been getting as hot and I run out of hot water quicker. This is the third year for me using the Econburn and I've never had this problem. The domestic hot water is heated through a simple side arm unit. I have no idea what could be causing this. Everything seems to be running as it should. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

Two things I can think of: A thermosiphon loop has become possible (valve not closing fully somewhere?) or you have scale buildup inside the sidearm.

Thermosiphon is easy to identify - when the Econoburn is not running, is the boiler water line from the top of the sidearm hot for any significant distance from the sidearm?

Scale could be possible if you have hard water - other folks have reported this. A search would likely turn up some insight.

Side arms in most cases are good for 2 maybe three years before they plug up. Sometimes less if your water contains a lot of mineral.

Status
Not open for further replies.