Dropped this 100 year old red oak today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
This big boy five feet across plus died ,took less than 10 minutes to drop . I hope the video can be posted. Lots of work ahead.

Attachments

• joe1.jpg
    joe1.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 358
  • joe2.jpg
    joe2.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 382
  • joe3.jpg
    joe3.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 393
  • joe4.jpg
    joe4.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 438
  • joe5.jpg
    joe5.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 392
  • joe6.jpg
    joe6.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 318
This big boy five feet across plus died ,took less than 10 minutes to drop . I hope the video can be posted. Lots of work ahead.
About 80 feet tall at least
joe7.jpg

Anyone know how to download a video to this site?The video is really awesome of us dropping this monster.

Anyone know how to download a video to this site?The video is really awesome of us dropping this monster.

Videos have much larger file sizes than pictures, so you might be running into a file size limit (set by Hearth.com and/or its forum hosting company) when attempting to upload the video to this site. To get around this limit, larger files are ofen uploaded to a file hosting site, and then you paste a link to the video from that file hosting site into any one of your forum postings. I'd upload the video to my YouTube account and in the Privacy Setting make it "unlisted." "Unlisted" means that it won't show up in general YouTube video searches, but it will be available to everyone to whom you provide the link.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a video. You Tube...

My wood burning career started with Red Oak from a big tree, topped out
at 100ft plus, that died. Counting the rings I made it out to be about 90 plus
years old. It was a fence line tree along a farm lane, got a lot of sun. I burned
splits from that tree for at least two years... Not quite as big as yours, probably
around 38-40inches DBH.

Wow, bucked the 5 footer on the ground without rolling rounds out! Had to be a straight stem and flat ground. How did you avoid cutting the dirt or pinching the bar? Were you using wedges for the bucking? How long a bar?

Wow, bucked the 5 footer on the ground without rolling rounds out! Had to be a straight stem and flat ground. How did you avoid cutting the dirt or pinching the bar? Were you using wedges for the bucking? How long a bar?

Stihl ms 362 25 inch bar ,the ground was very level,one new chain cut the entire tree,never once hit the ground due to how level the cutting area was.Can't say it wasn't a job,cuz it was.The hard work has yet to begin. I will probably noodle the rounds so they can be handled more easily.

Reactions: Highbeam
man I would have sold that dude to the sawmill and used the topwood as firewood

Sawmills around here play you for an uneducated fool,I called one for shids and giggles told them what I had,reply red oak is not in demand the market is flooded. No I'll burn it.