dry creek vs lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I got some dry creek pellets last week and I must say they are as good if not better than lignetics with heat output...I am pleased with them... My stove is very picky, so happy to have found another pellet I can use..

chrisasst said:
I got some dry creek pellets last week and I must say they are as good if not better than lignetics with heat output...I am pleased with them... My stove is very picky, so happy to have found another pellet I can use..
I also have been curious to try some dry creek....I've been burning lignetics also and although they put out good heat, the last 15 or so bags I burned produce ALOT of ash......how are the ligs for you in this aspect im curious as if maybe i just got a bad batch

The ones I seem to have this year don't have much ash, but also have lower heat than compared to last year..Now I'm not saying dry creek don't have much ash because they are having me empty my burn pot about every other day, but the heat is great. I can deal with the ash, as long as they give heat.

I had some dry creeks last year, and I thought they were great. best of the 4 brands I tried.

got ligs this year, due to their availability, price, and high kudos from here. So far, I can't really say that I'm "blown away" by them. They do seem "good", though. But the only thing I can judge by, really, is the ash content and how fast the glass dirties. So far, I'd say, "not bad". I did a full cleaning the other day, after burning ~1/2 a ton, and the ash pan was about 1/2 full. just as Harman says, "empty the ash pan after burning 1 ton". a lot of people poo-poo that statement, but I think its accurate, with decent quality pellets. Some of the stuff I had last year was filling the ash pan at a much higher rate.
with the Dry Creeks, though, it was like, "hey? where's the ash??"

The other attributes that people judge...you can't, really, with my stove. No way to know how much "heat" is in the pellets. If its low, the stove feeds more. If its high, it feeds less. constantly adjusting, even in the so-called "manual" mode...it adjusts itself. Its always getting "as much as it can" out of the pellets. And if I notice that I'm going through pellets at a higher rate...how do I know its not just because its been colder outside? The heat load on the house is different, every day.

Fines in the ligs...definately higher than the dry creeks, but my stock was re-stacked by the dealer. lord only knows how much they were handled before they got here. So I'm reluctant to blame the product for that.

No complaints here.

I burned NEWP last year and am burning Ligs this year. No comparison, better heat, less ash and cleaner window with the Lignetics.

I burned nearly a ton of em last year and thought rather highly of em. That said , like anything else quality could vary from one batch to the next. We don`t have an Agway close by so I can`t find em anymore..

Status
Not open for further replies.