Dry wood benefits.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Burning really dry wood from october 31 to now only produced one quart of "fluffy" ash removed from 26 foot of double wall stainless stove pipe located on the outside wall of my house.

Not the black thick hard baked molasses type stuff I used to scrape out of my pipe years ago.

My cap was clean except for a light amount of fluff.

Another huge benefit for me is I have emptied ashes only 3 times all winter from fall........and it is pure fluff because it burns up each log so well. I just use a shovel and lightly pack it down in bottom of stove and add another log until it gets too deep to burn........which seems to take forever with this dry wood.

To those who can not burn dry wood..........it would pay you to get at least one season ahead if you can........you won't believe the difference in burning.

My logs will light with a hand size amount of coals and burn until completly gone as soon as you lay the split in the stove.

I will never burn wet unseasoned wood again.

I once got some delivered and was told it was seasoned............first year burning, and I could not understand why it sizzled and water was dripping out of the ends.

Robbie

Good post Robbie....couldn't agree more.
Had about 1 cord of 2 year seasoned oak....burned real good.....now I Am on to the 8 month dried maple...wow , what a difference.

Robbie, are you still using the "one log at a time" method with full air. If so, are you using less wood?
The reason why I ask is that I tried it with no luck, loading the stove full seems to be the best bet in my case.
any tips?

Robbie, good post about burning dry wood, but only emptying ashes 3 times so far this winter?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I can say is that you certainly don't burn a whole lot of wood down there. I've been burning wood over 50 years and I've never heard of such a thing except for someone who only burns occasionally.

bluefrier, yes I do still use that method with amazing results. After a few seasons of doing this I have realized I save a LOT more wood.

I never have burps unless I damper all the way closed which I know better than to do. I have way less ashes left from logs which means way less emptying.

I realize to most this method would seem silly and extra trouble.

The only real downside is the fact I do load a log more often.........but it's worth it to me to NEVER have to be concerned with my stove overheating, never be concerned with burping because I loaded it full and had to damper for fear of over heat.

After many hours of sitting with my stove late at night waiting for it to char and level out after dampering so I could make sure it had the proper flame to burn the gas I realized this was silly.

I now load one larger split (trial and error system) and leave the damper wide open and go to bed and sleep for about 2 to 3 hours depending on how cold it is outside for that night and get up and load another.

My 1800 sqft house stays at a toasty 72-75 when temps are in the mid twenties with a blower on low to medium.

I have "tweaked" my methods in the last year so now I know what to expect.

Backwoods Savage, hello, it is weird but the truth and I burn almost 24/7. I do not burn on real windy days because I don't think the risk of high wind and pipe failure is worth the risk............ 110 heater on these days with back up gas.

I have burned only 2 ricks this winter and used 19% of gas out of a full lp tank filled to above 80%.

I am using so much less wood that I now have at least 2 or 3 years ahead.

A few mods I made are I do add 2 splits on very cold nights and leave wide open.........these will get my stove to 600 easily and if it does I damper 1/2 only for a few minutes while I sit close and watch.

The ash removal is the texture of flour............same in the pipe.

For a lot this method would be too much to deal with but for me it's well worth the things I am getting in return like less cleaning and much less chance of pipe fires.

And most imprtantly was I never get woke up at 3 am with the foul smell of wood smoke........even when I worked so hard to prevent it before going to bed.

Another thing, I got to looking at that huge pile of logs in my stove and barely burning, putting out less heat I think than one log running wide open...............not for everyone but seems perfect for me.

Note: you can not use this method unless you have really dry wood...........one piece of unseasoned wood will not burn by itself............a very dry piece will all on it's own.

Robbie

There's a problem with your burning method, wood, or draft if you're experiencing the problems you describe when burning more than one split at a time. If it works for you, by all means continue with this method, but you are certainly providing it with far too much air for a single split.

edit: you also have an incredibly tight house with great insulation if you are keeping good indoor temps like this. If I lived in your house, I could probably never use the stove or the heat and your indoor temp would likely be higher than mine is other than in the stove room.

Robbie - sounds like you are doing great. It seems as though all new stove owners have to go through the right of passage into the truly seasoned wood. Once you have been there, you won't be turning back.

I hope all the newbys are paying attention. Get 2 years ahead if you can. :coolsmile:

Thanks for the tips Robbie, Glad everything is working out for you.

karri0n, I don't have problems unless I fill my stove and damper almost closed even after a char.

My house is super tight and my draft is great on my stove.

My stove works perfectly even when I load it full IF I damper and open a bit and watch it closely. But I must watch it closely or it will get too hot or burp if dampered too much.

My stove is a work horse it seems, it will heat up to 600 and the blower will blow air so hot you almost can't stand in front of it. The damper system is so good it will snuff it out in seconds if need be. For some reason, even if I watch it and adjust it perfectly where the flame seems to be just right it will do one of two things sometimes..............the heat will creep up past 600 or it will swirl blue flames for a bit then burp once.

I can adjust it open a bit more and it will not burp but then the heat creeps up to over 600. My stove performs perfectly if I put one log or large split and let it breath which results in a seemingly perfect temp and perfect output.

I would rate my stoves performance at 95% as far as ease of use and heat output.

It was at 80% when I loaded it full and it burped occasionally.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Robbie

the three most important rules for burning wood :

1: use only seasoned *dry* wood
2: use only seasoned *dry* wood
3: use only seasoned *dry* wood

Status
Not open for further replies.