drying noodling noodles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or the burlap sac on the roof. Mine is prolly like 130F to 150F right now.

Put them in a burlap sack. Then put the sack in the dryer. Do this when your wife isn't home, much like washing car parts in the dishwasher.
Lol

I get a lot of wood after work, i would be in the woods till dark many nights if i split it all up. I too split some quantity by hand. This year i have hand split a cord in the last few weeks.

A cant hook will not get the rounds in my truck.

Hand splitting requires noodeling. All of the 19" rounds i hand split, if i had a trailer i would of rolled them up easy, which i have one i just did not bring it. But for larger stuff thats where noodeling helps. YOu can noodle like halfway through and then bust up the rest of the way most times. Now if you have a small like 40 or 50cc saw with a 20" bar you will be noodeling those rounds forever!! this is wehre you need a 60+ cc saw.

Now I loves ya! -- you gave me just the excuse I need for a 60+ cc saw.

[J.K. ... I don't have enough cutting to do for that, but nice to have the excuse there, just in case the situation changes.]

My wife likes the noodles to put down in some of the odd shaded parts of the garden and round the back of the garage to keep the weeds down. They seem to help.
It was always funny when the dog used to come in with noodles in his fur. He seemed to enjoy a pile here or there.

Until a few weeks ago my only saw was a 64 CC saw. I could cut fast but it was. Hard to sling it cutting brush and branches in the yard!!

Needed some more noodles yesterday, what for I'm not quite sure. To give the saw some exercise, to cut up some uglies and knotties, to spread some noodles in a part of the yard that looks like it needs some sawdust noodle mix.

I must have been cutting at a bad angle cos the noodles were mixed with more dust than usual.
The X27 finished off the job.

The two large splits on the ground were my "sawhorse" that I propped the uglies (out of sight of camera) on.
The other pieces were holding down the tarp as it was very windy.
(apols for the fuzzy cellie pic)
DustandNoodlezone.jpg

I don't really see any noodles there like you said?? Maybe your chain was super dull? These are noodles! From my MS650uploadfromtaptalk1390185974962.jpg

Reactions: OldLumberKid
I don't really see any noodles there like you said?? Maybe your chain was super dull? These are noodles! From my MS650

That's a nice big furry pile of noodle heaven right there
Yeah I had some nice linguine going last year.

I guess I'll get a better idea next time. In the photo earlier, I was cutting at about 45 degrees, so that might have had a little something to do with it.

(Last year's red oak linguine)
Noodlestopped_140217.jpg

Reactions: clemsonfor
Mac 125 before restoration & White Pine May 2013

Mac 125,30" White Oak Dec 2013

288XPW & Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper Nov 2012

Attachments

• mac 125 pine noodles may 2013 002.jpg
    mac 125 pine noodles may 2013 002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Eastern Red Cedar 11-19-2012 Husky 288XPW.jpg
    Eastern Red Cedar 11-19-2012 Husky 288XPW.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 121
Those r noodles my friend!

I had a piece yesterday that I was splitting and it got the best of me. have about 25% left from a 36 in oak round that had two limbs both about 8 inches lopped off. my 27 ton just couldn't make it through one piece of it. I worked up a sweat just pushing it around to get a better bite in different places. I finally set it aside and will finish it with the chain saw. tuckered me plum out.

I dint try that hard anymore, a few failed attempts and there tossed to the side for the saw.

Mac 125 before restoration & White Pine May 2013

Mac 125,30" White Oak Dec 2013

288XPW & Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper Nov 2012

That is some darn purdy noodle work. Specially the cedar ... looks like it wants to be furniture.

I had a piece yesterday that I was splitting and it got the best of me. have about 25% left from a 36 in oak round that had two limbs both about 8 inches lopped off. my 27 ton just couldn't make it through one piece of it. I worked up a sweat just pushing it around to get a better bite in different places. I finally set it aside and will finish it with the chain saw. tuckered me plum out.

No hurry but we await an update. With photos of you pushing that 36" sisyphean oak round into place.

burlap sacks should work.
maybe even any sack with an open top.
High percentage of surface area shouldn't take much nor long to dry.

I once had 4 - 50 pound sunflower sacks full of pine cones in the garage to try for firestarters.
squirrel or chipmunk shredded every single one.
didn't think there were seeds in them being all fully open but I guess there was

Reactions: clemsonfor
That is some darn purdy noodle work. Specially the cedar ... looks like it wants to be furniture.
No hurry but we await an update. With photos of you pushing that 36" sisyphean oak round into place.
that's probably not gonna happen it was only about 20 in thick but I had a cant hook/peavey to help get a little leverage on it. boy, that ole knot just moaned and groaned. I got a couple of splits to pop but a big piece of it just wouldn't give up the ghost.

Pine cones have the seeds stick to the petal things when open for awhile to blow out. So yea they can be in them when open. There not viable seed till cone dries and opens. Heck 5 seeds per bag and they would probably destroy the bag looking for more.

I noodled 1 big old stump 1 time and I think I just left it on the ground there by the creek. I think that was back in 1987

Status
Not open for further replies.