Drying time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc623

Jun 2, 2008
OH
I realize that there are potentially a number of variables so bare with me.
Generally speaking how long should wood from tree tops/limbs of hard wood that was harvested earily this spring be stored/dried before use.
The limbs range from 12" to 4" in diameter.
The limbs/tops were cut last April.
The limbs show signs of checking on the ends.
I have cut into pieces not over 18" long and usually split in the quarters.
The tops are of hickowy, cherry, oaks, and a few maples.
Thanks.

I have the same wood seasoning right now and in my opinion, it would take 6 months to a year in good sun and not getting wet every week. I just put black plastic on top of mine since we are getting rain and more to come with the hurricane's coming.

You might try splitting the quarters into smaller pieces I just did with the wood I got from a farmer. It seemed to make a difference.

Shipper

I guess that I forgot to mention that mine has been under cover since it was split and has not had any rain on it but does get the benefit of the sun and air.

My $0.02 is that you could safely burn that towards the end of this burning season. I have some smaller stock cut & split in the same timeframe, been stacked & under cover since then in good sun & air. All the splits have some checking, the bark is pulling away on a few pieces, although the majority not so much. I have a couple racks that I'm planning on burning first, but if this is a brutal winter like last year, I am comfortable burning those as 'seasoned' wood later in the season (February/March).

I have some racks that are uber-seasoned, so I might mix the April stock w/ the over-seasoned stock as well.

doc623 said:
I guess that I forgot to mention that mine has been under cover since it was split and has not had any rain on it but does get the benefit of the sun and air.

I am sure most would agree that the more sun and less cover your wood gets the sooner it will season. I think the time frame I posted above still holds? I am sure someone will let us know if my time frame is correct. ;-)

Shipper

Doc yops split in quarters I'd say you're good to go for this year on everything but the oak. Never burned it myself but those that so say it takes 2 years to season. Next years try and leave the wood exposed in the sun more and you'll be more seasoned if ya cut some more tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.