dull or sharp maul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Back to this nonsensical question again? My maul has both sharp and dull... I suspect yours does too. Try them both and see which works better. If you find the sharp side works better, then make the sharp even sharper. If you find the dull side works better, then make the dull even duller.

(not my photo, but thanks for letting me borrow!)

Attachments

• sharp n dull.jpg
    sharp n dull.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 127
I sharpen both my maul and wedges about once a year. I haven't seen much difference by doing it more than that.

Everything here gets split with the maul. What can't gets cut up with the chainsaw or burned outdoors in the firepit. A little bit of splitting a couple times a week can go a long way. I know some people with hydraulics who will split their entire winter's supply in a couple of days but if you've got the maul it's better to spread it out. Also the harder the pieces are to split the shorter they get cut. Even if I could split a 4 foot long round it wouldn't fit in my stove anyway.

I just bought a 8lb splitting maul and a wedge to split wood with. I've never really cut wood before but have been having good luck with the factory thick but dull mull.

Some of the larger and thicker rounds that are about 3-4feet long and equally as wide require me to beat the living $h-( out of it for 8-10 hefty (and I mean all out hard as I can) wacks with the maul before it finally cracks the round. I've used the wedge to bash into these pieces with some success.

Will I have an easier time with a sharper splitting maul or should I keep it dull and wack at it like the pointed sludge hammer it is.

Thanks guys.
I used to use an 8 pound maul..last xmas i was given a 36in fiskars splitting ax,, I'm very impressed with it.. I think you would be as well...it's much easier on your back...much lighter.. Swings faster.. And is virtually indestructible..

Reactions: beermann