Duratech install - ceiling question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beekeeper

Apr 2, 2008
Virginia
Hi folks - I'm probably going to call the manufacturer about this, but I'd like your thoughts.

I'm installing the Simpson Duravent-Duratech stove pipe in a new house I'm building. I'm starting in my dining room ceiling on the first floor, going through the upstairs, and then on thru the attic and out through the roof.

My first question has to do with the "round ceiling support box". I've carefully installed this inside a square I framed into the first floor ceiling, and this will carry the entire chimney. Here's what's bugging me - apparently no other shield or firestop is required for the area immediately above the support box, which means that there is about eight vertical inches between the point where the chimney leaves the support box and finally exits into the second story space. Or put another way, there's about eight inches between the top of the support box and the top of the OSB/plywood flooring of the second floor. It just looks a little inadequate to me compared what goes on at the ceiling of the second story, where a firestop radiation shield and attic insulation shield completely encase the chimney as it passes through that ceiling up into the attic.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.