DuraVent 3PVL-AD needed on Quadra-Fire Santa Fe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maraakate

Sep 27, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Hey everyone,

My stove has been running great this whole winter, but I saw an earlier thread where someone was using Selkirk piping and they needed the Selkirk to stove adapter. That got me thinking and I looked up the installation manual for DuraVent piping and they want you to use a 3PVL-AD from the stove to the pipe. I never used this, I just put some red RTV on the pipe connector and pushed it in. I haven't had any issues with smells or stuff pushing out of the pipe inside the house so I'm guessing it's probably 'OK' but not technically ideal.

My piping is pretty simple, it's a 45 degree adapter, out to a 4 foot pipe through the wall and then theres an angled piece (not sure the proper term) for the exhaust to spit it out at the ground. Yes, yes, I know ideally it would be best to go up in case the power goes out, but I didn't know that when this was put together over the summer. That's a project for next year, and we rarely (if ever) have electricity go out around here.

I saw the reviews on amazon of this 3PVL-AD piece and one person was mad that it was simple the same straight pipe, cut, and doesn't even have the locking connector for it and said that it was essentially a useless $20 part. If that's the case, and the red RTV is working for me do I really need to bother with getting this piece?

Whatever works as long as it is not dangerous
The adapter just makes it easier to remove pipes
from the stove if necessary

Reactions: maraakate
The book also states that you're really supposed to hook the pipe to the exhaust on the stove, use RTV (which I did) and then secure with 3 screws. I never used screws. Is this really necessary? Is there any advantage to doing so?

Thanks for the tip on the adapter. I'll hold off on that for another time since it's clearly not critical to functionality. I do the leaf blower trick so I don't really have a reason to completely disconnect the pipe from the stove.

A screw or a clamp is more of a safety regulation thing.Many do not because they have to remove pipe for cleaning, or stove repairs. Today's sealers are nothing like old ones, and I have never hear of anyone having a problem.

Reactions: maraakate