Duravent/Duratech Round vs Square Support Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ksufan76

Sep 4, 2022
Kansas
Hi All,

I will be doing a fresh wood stove install in my home and have figured out the install and the needed materials for my application with one exception. I am trying to understand and choose the best support box. My set-up will be an inside multi-story install: install stove in a basement through a 1st story and then through the attic. I will be using the Duratech DVL Double-wall for the stove pipe and then transition to the Duratech SS chimney pipe. It will be a flat ceiling install at the transition point from basement ceiling through the 1st story floor. My question or request for opinions is what support box to use. It appears I can use either the square or round support box. I believe the round has a cleaner and more minimalist look but unsure if that is the best option. The square support box is very straight forward on how to install but I can't find much on the round (mainly on how to properly fasten it). My joists are 12" in height so not sure if that even matters given I will ensure the proper 2" combustable clearance required. Can I attach the round support just like the square but since it doesn't have the height of of square support do I need to add any other protection or is it good since it will maintain a 2" clearance through the joist? Any guidance or experience with the round support vs square would be appreciated. Thanks!

The round is what we have. It is only round for the ceiling penetration. Above, it is square for conventional attachment to the joists. I painted the trim ring white for minimal visual impact.

duravent-support2.jpgScreen Shot 2022-10-03 at 11.23.26 AM.png