Duravent Offsets DVL -- where to put them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakislayer

Oct 4, 2008
Pasadena MD
Okay -- due to my ceiling joists and where my stove is going to sit my install requires offsets to get the needed clearances called for by the stove manufacturer (Englander 30-NC).... I'm using Duravent DVL stove pipe because I want to get as close as possible to the wall...

So I have 2 45 degree offsets, a 24" pipe, and 18" pipe and a 12" adjustable pipe to put together to join my stove to the ceiling support box. The question is "WHERE" to put the offsets.... The way I figure it is I have three choices....

1) Stove, offset, offset, 18" pipe, 12" adjustable pipe, 24" pipe to ceiling support box

2) Stove, 18" pipe, 12" adjustable pipe, offset, offset 24" pipe to ceiling support box

3) Stove 18" pipe, 12" adjustable pipe, 24" pipe, offset, offset to ceiling support box

So, do I put the offsets at the stove, in the middle, or at the top (going into the support box) -- is one way better then the other? From a "looks" standpoint it would probably look the best at either the top or bottom....

Thoughts?

If the rest of your flue is straight through the roof, I would put the 45's closest to the stove. That way, you will have the ability to run a cleaning brush from the top further down before you get to the 1st 45. This is how mine turned out.

Attachments

• new stove 002.jpg
    new stove 002.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 298
I have my offset low, Rick has his high. Both work.

So it doesn't matter if i put the offsets right at the stove, or at the ceiling support box? (other then the ease of cleaning)...

I gotta see which will look better -- or should say -- the wife has to tell me which looks better...

I just wasn't sure if the offsets would connect to the stove collar or to the ceiling support box....

I tried calling Duravent but I couldn't talk to a tech... they were busy....

We tried it both ways, my wife and I liked it low better. The mass of the stove balances the visual weight of the offset. If you and your wife go through the stove gallery pages (navigation is at the very top of the page), you'll see several examples of offsets, high and low.

https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/index2.html

Attachments

• April08-013web.jpg
    April08-013web.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 223
I'm not sure about DVL, however on my Durablack, I used their slip conector that locks into the ceiling support box. The Durablack 45's (single wall) don't have that ability.

thanks for all the input -- just so everyone knows --- I spoke to the Duravent techs and they said that the DVL offsets can be connected right at the stove, in the middle or up at the ceiling box. Basically -- where ever I want to use it -- so long as I keep it 6''s from combustibles...

So I'm going to let the wife decide (smart move....) I'll post pix's once it's all done....

Yup, sometimes I'm just the grunt who puts it together. The techs tell me what will work, and the wife tells me the way it's gonna be. :p Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.