Duravent thimble concern.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crausch

Aug 26, 2008
Littlestown, PA
Does anyone know if both center holes on a duravent wall thimble are supposed to be the exact same size?

When I installed my wall thimble then ran my pipe through the wall, the pipe fit snuggly in the center hole of the inside thimble piece. However, there is considerable play around the pipe where it goes through the outside piece. I would think this should be the same.

I am starting to think that maybe I received a 3" and a 4" together. Or am I missing something that I should have done with the outside piece?

I had about max 1/4" clearance on my outside thimble section I sealed it with a bead of high temp silicon.
My inside Thimble secton was tighter than the outside section.

OK, that is what I have done. I thought I would check before it got to late to return it. I guess that is just the way they are made then. It doesn't seem right sine you are supposed to run a solid piece of pipe all the way through.

I guess if that is the way others have theirs then I am feeling better about the install. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Thanks!

If you line it all up right you will have about the same clearance between pipe and thimble all the way around.
I found that the thimble really does not support the pipe but support comes form the stove and exterior wall brackets,
I purchased 2 extra wall brackets as well. Don't forget to seal all seams on the stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.