Duravent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

harley75

Nov 21, 2016
pennsylvania
I about had it with dura vent pipe so many leaks from the inside pipe.Is there a better pipe for pellet stoves I contacted simpson 3 days ago didn't hear a word back this is the older pipe with rope gasket.

How old is the pipe?

I haven't found a T or elbow that didn't leak. I just wrap them up good with high temp, self sealing silicon tape and am done with it. The tape is cheap and is easy to take off if needed.

I haven't found a T or elbow that didn't leak. I just wrap them up good with high temp, self sealing silicon tape and am done with it. The tape is cheap and is easy to take off if needed.
Picture of the clean out T on my P43. Wrapped at the angles and at the cap like it is going under a Christmas tree :)

P43 clean out.jpg

I have some of that tape have a new tee coming.I'll see what happens thinking of shipping this other back to Duravent.There getting sloppy

I bought a new Excel Pellet vent last year and couldn't be happier. It has internal silicone seals, and just sort of slides together like legos or something and you pop a few self-tapping screws in at each joint. Not cheap, it was about $800 for the stove adapter, clean-out tee, one 45' elbow (to center the vent on my stove), 3 48" sections of vent, ceiling box, roof flashing, and the cap, but it is phenomenal stuff. You can hold your hand 1/2" off it when the stove is full bore and not feel hot. It's rated for 1" clearance to combustibles. Inside pipe is stainless, outside pipe is some kind of fancy galvanized. They are precision welded together and look fantastic. Gotta paint them though.

-Nathan

You probably know this, but in case you aren't aware, DuraVent makes different types of pipe. And you can't mix and match the styles.

I have two different pipe types (two stoves) and both have a bead of silicone on the interior joints.

Box store Duravent sucks. We always filled gap with silicone when assembling years ago. Then switched to Duravent pellet pro . No silicone and no leaks. I even unlock a joint and dissasemble to spin my stove around to clean it once a year and it dont leak. I would know because I burn straight corn and the exhaust smell is not pleasant smelling.