Durock wall shield screws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pig Bodine

Sep 28, 2018
Alaska
I'm planning a wall shield and I think I'm going to use ripped strips of Durock to give me the 1 inch air gap. My interior wall behind the stove is sheared for earthquake protection. The layers from room to stud will be 1/2 inch Durock x3, 1/2 inch OSB (shear layer) then the stud. The longest cement board screws sold are 2 1/4. That would only leave 1/4 inch into the stud which I feel is too small. Is it ok to use coated self drilling exterior 3 inch wood screws for this application?

Long drywall screws will work.

Durock says specifically not to use drywall screws as the cement corrodes them. Think I might go with z channel and shorter screws through each arm.

Coated decking screws will work if they have a large head. I used drywall screws in our prior install. Didn't see any notable corrosion when I took it down after about 10 yrs. but I wasn't really looking hard. This may be a greater concern in a wet area.

Just use coated deck screws and there is nothing to worry about