dutchwest 2479 or blaze king princess 1006

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tstat makes very quick adjustments. The best example I have seen of this is to turn the fans off when they are on high with a a high burn going. The temperature of the stove initially spikes but the tstat corrects this very quickly and you are back to your cruising temperature within 30 to 40 seconds. At low burn in my old stove, I had to babysit it to keep it from either shooting up or down. It also had a habit of going out while on low burn. This variability led to open window situation often. The tstat maintains a consistent output over a very long burn.

That said, I'm not convinced that you couldn't achieve the same thing if you closely watched the stove. I'm also not convinced that it burns any longer than any other decent cat stove for a given amount of fuel put in it. The large firebox, tstat and cat allow you to put a large amount of fuel in at a time, set the burn for a given heat output and forget about it.

I was extremely skeptical of this when I bought it and largely did it on faith that N60s fanaticism must have some merit. He was spot on. The only thing that really bugs me about this stove is the blower noise.

Blaze King. No-brainer. FWIW, I had a Dutchwest catalytic Federal for
20 years, until I replaced it last winter. I've never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.