Q&A Dutchwest stove - wall gets hot !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Recently we installed Dutchwest small convection wood stove. According to the manufacturer- the clearance from the wall in a corner installation without a rear heat shield is 18 ". We installed it with a 19.5" inch clearance from the corner of stove to the wall. Once the stove heated up to 900 F- the wall became hot. While you could leave your hand on the wall- I am concerned when it is this hot. I want to believe the manufacturer- but the other corner to the wall is approximately 22 " and the wall is not as hot. There is nothing unusual about the installation. The stove has a bottom heat shield and the sheet metal below the stove (on the floor) stays cool. Also- the center of the chimney (stove pipe) is 24 " from the wall- and is a straight shot to a cathedral ceiling using DuraVent pipe.Thus- I am thinking that the wall needs protection and I plan on hanging sheet metal with spacers. I doubt that a rear heat shield will help. Am I right in these conclusions? I am a bit disillusioned that the manufacturer gives this number and then the wall gets hot with it. I could have moved the stove 5-6 " more- but now the chimney etc.- are installed. The last option would be to put a curve piece of stove pipe and move the stove- but I am afraid that will cut down on the draw up the chimney. So- what is the best way you feel to correct (if it needs corrected) the situation? Thanks- in advance- for your assistance.

Answer:

First- the manufacturers clearances are probably very safe. A few points to remember:Any surface over 110 degrees feel very hot to you (can't hold your hand on it)...Yet- it takes 400-500 degrees to ignite most combustibles. The UL standards allow for certain materials to get 70-100 degrees hotter than the room temperature -- or approx 150-170 degrees. Also- since it is not too cold yet- the heat from the stove will build up faster and make surfaces hotter. As it gets colder outside- the heat will be sucked away from the stove and the walls will stay cooler. A rear heat shield WILL help- since it's the sum total of the area facing the walls that causes heat buildup. If you do decide to move the stove by jogging the pipe- use a maximum of a 45 degree bend..this will help maintain draft

Status
Not open for further replies.