dutchwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnroadkill

Nov 19, 2005
read the forum each day,do not post hate typing,have a 2487 dutchwest when i oppen stove damper and bottom primary air and get a good hot fire going, then close down stove damper i get aroaring sound almost like a chimney fire then as fire beings to slow down it(roar) quiets down. the heater does a great job. this morning when i got off work put 4 oak splits in it filled it up good. after getting a good fire going shut down stove damper started its roaring keep getting hotter about 600 degree on pipe it is like when stove is shut down on a hot fires it roars on a medium fire it does not
THANKS

Hmm... I've read about a phenomina where getting a strong draft going on full air and immediately shutting it down can cause your chimney to start sort of "gulping" and cause your stove to jump or rattle until it's caught up.

Does it happen if you slowly turn the air down a little at a time? I'm thinking your chimney is having a strange depressurization phenomina when you go jump off max air.

I think I know what you mean. I've caught this happening a couple times, basically seemed like secondary combustion of the wood smoke was taking place in the chimney, which obviously settled down as I throttled the fire back.

The only remedy would to not let the fire get moving so quick as to let it happen, and also, MAKE SURE YOUR CHIMNEY IS CLEAN!!!

It is called "back puffing" and it is caused by starving the fire for air to quickly. If the fire can't get oxygen from the inlet then it has no other source than to suck it back down the flue from the outside air. Never seen it with a six or eight inch pipe or liner but it is pretty common in open flue tiles. Stinks and makes a mess because it blows the exhaust out of the stove leaks/inlets instead of the into the chimney. The chimney and inlets have traded places.

I have to say that, with respect, I disagree that the condition he is describing is back puffing. I know dutchwests are known for this condition, but I would personally not describe backpuffing as a constant roaring sound that subsides as the fires throttles back

No offense taken. You don't have the same situtation he does. His happens when he cuts off the intake air. Yours must not or you wouldn't have anything to "throttle back" for it to settle down.

do not believe it is a back puff, no blow back out of any openning, seems like it is not as bad if i do not like fire heat up real big and get damper closed down quickly, then use primary air to bring heat up leaving the main stove damper closed, check pipe about a week ago a very small amount of dry creasote
thanks again for replies

Just for clarity, by damper do you mean the intake air control or the level towards the back that restricts/redirects the exhaust? The older pre-cat (and maybe the new ones too, don't know) VC's will roar when you go from an open chimney damper to a restricted one. It's turbulence (and a sign of good draft) as the chimney is pullingthrough a now constricted space. After a minutes or two it'll reach equilibrium again.

Steve

the damper at top of stove that redirectd air flow from chiney direct to back of the stove though refactory brick, i have a awesome draft. THANKS again for reply usually will quiet down in a couple of minutes but other night with a big load hot fire it just kept getting hotter and roaring louder, now i do not try to load as heavy and shut down a little early as not to have a hot restirted fire (good idea?)

I had an old insert that did the same thing every time i had a good hot fire going. The flames would be roaring up the cat "bypass" (i don't know the real name, it's the area the exhaust went when the cat wasn't engaged). When i heard that I knew it was time to engage the cat.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.