I recently received a complaint about this from a Hearth.com reader and was wondering if the technology has advanced over all these years. I know my DV (Valor) is cold as heck when it is not operating! After all, there is nothing between the great outdoors and my house other than a sheet of glass or piece of sheet metal. Here is my answer to the person with the complaint: "There are a couple problems here..... 1. The venting of these fireplaces is called Direct vent. It consists of one pipe with two ducts in it - one brings cold air from the outside into the fireplace burner and the other takes the exhaust out. This process happens even when the fireplace is not on, which effectively means your fireplace becomes as cold as the outside air. 2. The "chase" or frame that these fireplaces are built into - sometimes are not properly insulated or sealed. This allows the cold from outside to soak right through the metal walls of the fireplace and then transfer to your house. (I know, at least one of my "solutions" is very dangerous, but this guy was desperate!) As far as solutions, there are none which are conventional. Here are my comments: 1. In some weather - and on some fireplaces, the output of the pilot flame can offset some of this cold. 2. If you want to turn the gas pilot off for long periods, you might be able to try two jury-rigs....one would be making some sort of temporary cover for the outside exhaust (obviously dangerous if you should attempt to start the fireplace and forget to remove it) or, better yet, make some kind of an insulated decorative panel to cover the interior of the fireplace when not in use. I have seen some people use magnets to make such a thing stay in place. Unfortunately, there is no other solutions that I know of.