DV Thimble with no framing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abunker11

Jun 4, 2014
Mass.
I am about to have a zero clearance gas fireplace installed. I thought I would need to coordinate my sheetrocking of the wall with his framing for the wall thimble. When I called to ask him about it he said to go ahead and sheetrock the entire wall and that the wall thimble didn't need to be framed. I was skeptical and asked him a few times in different ways but he insisted and so I figured he knew what he was talking about. Is it acceptable to use the wallboard and sheathing for support? Could he have meant that it would be framed after the fact and that it didn't need to be framed prior to sheetrocking?

I always frame the outline of the thimble, but since a LOT of DV gas units are afterthoughts, it's not a big issue.
Small framing members can be squeezed thru the thimble opening & in between the
sheetrock & outer wall sheathing to get the proper mounting points.
Thimbles are only held in place with 4 screws & since the venting is locked together, that is sufficient.
Go ahead & sheetrock your walls.

I always frame the outline of the thimble, but since a LOT of DV gas units are afterthoughts, it's not a big issue.
Small framing members can be squeezed thru the thimble opening & in between the
sheetrock & outer wall sheathing to get the proper mounting points.
Thimbles are only held in place with 4 screws & since the venting is locked together, that is sufficient.
Go ahead & sheetrock your walls.
Thank you for setting this straight. It was a nagging doubt that wouldn't go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.