DVL Pipe - can I mix and match "name brands"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
I posted this under a different thread that started to change direction, so I am listing it here as well.

DVL - Simpson vs M&G vs no name DVL.

OK, received my M&G Duravent chimney adapter. I have installed it and am ready to purchase more pipe. Do I need all M&G Duravent? Will Simpson Duravent work? Some are listed with neither M&G or Simpson, just Duravent. Combination of both? I have searched, and am finding different opinions. I have all the "Duravent" part numbers (listed above from Duravents web), just unsure of the manufacturer dependencies.

1- DVL 45 - 7dvl-e45 - (length 7 inches)
2- DVL decrease 7-6 inches 7dvl-x6 (length 7 inches)
3- DVL pipe 24inches 6dvl-24 (length 24 inches)
4- DVL adjustable pipe 6 inch 29-46inches 6dvl-46ta ( length will use 33 of the 46 inches possible)
5- DVL adapter - to chimney - 6dvl-adt ( length 3 inches)
total pipe length would be between 70 and 87 - fits my 74 requiremnt

+ I just called Woodland direct and they are saying all Duravent DVL is interchangeable......help?

Thanks!

Who is M&G? The adapter is made for Duravent's DVL pipe specifically.

It is the name on the unit. Just like Simpson.
M & G DuraVent 6DVL-ADT. They were previous owners as I understand it. Before Simpson.
If you google it, you will see it is what you think it should be. That is why I am confused.

Yes, I just haven't seen it in a while and forgot. I was assuming you got the current adapter and not the old style M&G one, but maybe that is incorrect?

I didn't know there was a difference. I see now that the newer one might have been a better choice as it might have turned on a bit "screwed in" to the double wall ss chimney pipe. But, I made out OK I think, the one I have also has an internal ss sleeve and I was able to secure it very well to the cathedral box and also the internal ss sleeve pipe seems to fit over the inside of the double wall ss. I think I am good at this point. I did send an email to DuraVent directly asking them the same question about interchangeability. I will post a picture of the install tomorrow for your review. I suppose I could simply change it out if you think the old style is not suitable. Still uncertain if it matters what I order for the rest of the pipes.

The old one was just a thin stainless joiner. It sounds like you have the proper piece.

Just finalizing my order for new DVL piping for my shop stove. Please confirm:
I have an M&G Duravent DVL 6 inch chimney adapter installed. I am ordering Duravent DVL 6 inch piping. My order does not specify (M&G). No issue, correct?

Here is what I ordered:
( I have a 7inch exit on the stove at a 45)
Order Summary: Thanks for looking!!

ItemQtyDescription
6DVL-46TA1DuraVent DVL Telescoping Length 29 inch - 46 inch (2020.6)
Coupon Code applied - you saved $24.54
6DVL-241DuraVent DVL 24 inch Double-Wall Black Pipe (2020.6)
Coupon Code applied - you saved $13.47
7DVL-E451DVL 7 inch Diameter - 45¡ Double-Wall Black Elbow (2020.4)
Coupon Code applied - you saved $13.16
7DVL-X61DVL 7 inch Diameter - Reducer 7 inch-6 inch (2020.4)
Coupon Code applied - you saved $20.28

Reactions: MR. GLO