DVL stovepipe install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalen

Aug 25, 2014
Maryland
Does the dual wall pipe actually need air to pass thru between the walls of the pipe? I have an install that will block off the top of the top of the pipe effectively preventing any air from exiting. Is this right?

Follow the manufactures instructions most i have used say you need to allow for air flow but i don't know about yours

A radiant barrier doesn't need air flow. My vertical double wall has mo outlets, only the inlet on top of the stove.

What is unique about this installation? Can you post a drawing or photo that shows the issue?

My top section is an adapter that increases 6" Dvl to 8" chimney. The mounting ring that screws into the ceiling box covers all of the vent holes of the 8" DVL to 6" DVL adapter. So any possible air movement out of the space between the walls is sealed shut. The bottom of 15' high, 6" dia. DVL at the stove adapter is open, so air could enter and flow up entire length, between the walls, but it cannot leave due to being covered by the mounting ring. If it does not have to breath then I am good, but if it does I will have to ventilate somewhere at the top.

I am very much a newbie in woodstoves, however, I have spoke with Duravent as well as our stove company several times this week while doing or install. Both of them were very clear to me that DVL must have air flow between inner lining and outside wall. Just the info I got this week.

The DVL adaptor sure doesn't leave much room to have a secure connection and still allow air to flow. It only needs a very small seperation at the top to allow air flow. Just hold the adaptor down a little and shoot some SS screws through the 8-6" adaptor securing it to the chimney adaptor. I use 3/4" self drilling. Be sure to predrill or it will just push the adaptor in.

Thanks! The 8" SS chimney adapter ring only overlapped the inner SS pipe in the 8" DVL part of the 8 to 6 adapter by a little over 1\4" , leaving too little to establish a reasonable gap for venting. I used 1 inch tek screws and flush fit the chimney adapter ring. The area where the adapter flares from 6 to 8 inches, about 4 inches down, is about an inch wide, and I took a drill and perforated a nice circle of holes around it. I will edit and upload a picture.
Having a bit of trouble uploading pics, tried reducing with paint, must still be too big.

Last edited:
Adapter2_zps17b7684a.jpg
Adapter1_zps240357e4.jpg
Still trying to upload a photo, maybe post count is still too low, or Photo is still too big, I will reduce it again and give it a go here.

Whoa! Those are Real big, my apologies, but a picture is worth a thousand words they say......! Thanks to all here that have helped, a great resource! I think the mods to the adapter above will work....or burn down the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.