E 25pdvc fire for startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vvvv

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2010
MAINE
seems to work, fast! notice the flame traveling to the right & away from the exhaust blower as a result of the added plate which blocks the left side of the exhaust port

Attachments

• 100_2519 (Small).jpg
    100_2519 (Small).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 371
I take it you've got the moded burnpot in it too? This was mainly to show the added plate results?

Please explain! :cheese:

Also when compairing wouldn't it be best to show what you had before any modes. We have nothing to compair it to. Why would this be worthy of a mod for an Englander owner?

j-takeman said:
I take it you've got the moded burnpot in it too? This was mainly to show the added plate results?

Also when compairing wouldn't it be best to show what you had before any modes. We have nothing to compair it to. Why would this be worthy of a mod for an Englander owner?
toplate not on in this foto. modifications void UL listings, though i wonder about burnpot extensions. just show & tell , not selling anything

~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:

toplate not on in this foto. modifications void UL listings, though i wonder about burnpot extensions. just show & tell , not selling anything

Still, Compared to what? What did it actually do for you?

j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:

Still, Compared to what? What did it actually do for you?
plate on top & in front. low burn results in small pile of pellets burning near the auger, burnplate has holes all the way to the front. toplate forces the flame to the front where any air from burnplate will have to mix with the flame.glass gets hotter so it radiaTES MORE HEAT. other changes allow stove to run more radiant & room blower rarely comes on.

Gio's fire looks to be straight up to me. Yours looks like it leans to the right. Gio's fire looks to be brisk and a nice color orange/yellow. Yours is a burn orange and looks to need more air. Coarse that could be because we can see through Gio's glass! %-P

Did you monitor the exhaust temp before the change and after? I mean actual exhaust temp going out the pipe. Not the pipe temp. How about wind direction and actual humidity levels? Are you using an OAK?

j-takeman said:
Gio's fire looks to be straight up to me. Yours looks like it leans to the right. Gio's fire looks to be brisk and a nice color orange/yellow. Yours is a burn orange and looks to need more air. Coarse that could be because we can see through Gio's glass! %-P

Did you monitor the exhaust temp before the change and after? I mean actual exhaust temp going out the pipe. Not the pipe temp. How about wind direction and actual humidity levels? Are you using an OAK?
my fire is sawdust +tablespoon of k2 NOT RECOMMENDED! cheaper than pellets though

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Gio said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
Gio said:
Here`s the flame on my pdvc, notice how straight it is.
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/image/129209057.jpg
thanx, top of flame still on left

I think Englander stove designer wanted it to be like that.
25 is cheap & old design. eng. has resorted to fin tubes instead of finplate ithink, why?

Well, no one would claim the PDVC design is leading edge and this one is their bottom feeder model but honestly I don`t see a "hit you in the face ' glaring difference between it`s heat output or pellet useage and my Harman P-38 even with the significant price difference.
The Harman is an excellent stove , priced 50% more + higher (new) than the PDVC and no doubt a bit more efficient , and a higher BTU rating , but for the money the Englander stands it`s ground very well.
Personally I think the PDVC is more attractive , has more mass, and has a nicer flame that is more realistic.
The P-38 resembles a black toilet bowl complete with attached water closet and sports a blow torch flame pattern . That said , the glass stays pretty clean for a long time and the fan is slightly quieter .
Compromises is what it`s all about especially in this price range but I`d not hesitate to buy another Englander.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
seems to work, fast! notice the flame traveling to the right & away from the exhaust blower as a result of the added plate which blocks the left side of the exhaust port

I think Mike Holton gasps slightly every time he reads your posts on how you're turning the cute little PDVC into a FrankenStove......and also hopes you never call for tech help! :lol:

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Gio said:
Here`s the flame on my pdvc, notice how straight it is.
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/image/129209057.jpg
thanx, top of flame still on left
Pook, the flame length in my picture is a bit longer on the left side only because at that particular time there was probaly e few extra pellets burning in the left side of the burnpot. It changes regularly (as flames always do) as varying amounts of fuel are pushed in and distributed into the fire. The pellets in the delivery tube aren`t always the exact amount pushed out with each turn of the auger.
The one constant though is the flame path is pretty much straight up.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:

my fire is sawdust +tablespoon of k2 NOT RECOMMENDED! cheaper than pellets though

Pook, try these pellets....the cat on the bag is looking to the left, so I'm sure it would straighten your flame out just by burning them
;-P

Australian pine and hardwood plantation timber waste

www.aristopet.com.au/?page=70&item=689&product;_search=&dosearch;=

Will the auger feed the saw dust or do you need to hand feed the stove?

K2 = BOOM! hehe!

Attachments

• H-bomb_1.gif
    H-bomb_1.gif
    55.7 KB · Views: 272
~*~vvv~*~ said:
pretty simple= point A is hot & has airflow, B sucks the hot air out of the stove, duh

Pook,
When I place my hand over the exhaust outlet it amazes me how little air actually comes out. I understand what you are trying to do but I`m not sure it`s wise to restrict the exhaust . You`re also restricting the amount of combustion air. The PDVC isn`t the cleanest burning pellet stove as it is and you are probably making it much worse with all your radical mods.
I do admire your creativity but I`d not be comfortable living under the same roof as you.

Gio said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
pretty simple= point A is hot & has airflow, B sucks the hot air out of the stove, duh

Pook,
......... I`m not sure it`s wise to restrict the exhaust .......... you are probably making it much worse with all your radical mods.
I do admire your creativity but I`d not be comfortable living under the same roof as you.

Here's Pook hard at work on his PDVC mods:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 253
j-takeman said:
Will the auger feed the saw dust or do you need to hand feed the stove?

K2 = BOOM! hehe!

Nice little fire you got there Jay :lol:

Been there, done that, killed ignitor but no neighbors. :coolsmirk: ;)

Jay

God Im glad it's time to talk stoves again,lol. A hot stove is a happy stove.)

Attachments

• stove 002.jpg
    stove 002.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 249
Gio said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Pook,
When I place my hand over the exhaust outlet it amazes me how little air actually comes out. I understand what you are trying to do but I`m not sure it`s wise to restrict the exhaust . You`re also restricting the amount of combustion air. The PDVC isn`t the cleanest burning pellet stove as it is and you are probably making it much worse with all your radical mods.
this morning, i put coverplate on while there was still sawdust on the front of the burnpot & lotta embers shot out, bounced off the glass. i looked out the window at the end of the horizontal only vent & no embers were coming out of pipe! embers were hitting the metal lip [airwash?] above the door & getting blocked.sawdust now gone, embers stop, & stove is running on low
constriction? air comes from 2" intake & goes thru burnplate,eh? do the math for the area of the holes which the air can flow thru in the burnplate & then compare to area on front of coverplate & then the area of the unblocked exhaust port.... which has the most constriction?
constriction of baffleplate results in compression of heat within stove by increased pressure? now guess how a pressure cooker works.
kids never liked applied science but sure knew how to work the nintendo! thanx 4 the frankenstein comparisons, villagers..............straight sawdust will jam the auger, its mill sawdust with different sizes of stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.