EAB the sad gift that keeps on giving

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Here is another load of EAB ash. I have been cutting them down for neighbors every weekend. I hate loosing all these ash trees.
ash1.JPG
ash2.JPG
ash3.JPG

Been cutting a bunch of them myself. No stopping it.

EAB is starting to take hold of the ashes here in NNJ, I'm noticing more and more dead ash tree's, I'm prob gona be losing my ash stand here at my house in the next few years, I'm estimating just in my yard / woods by my house I got at least 4 seasons of ash that will need to come down.

Great load, but a sad thing to see. Thankfully not in my town yet, but I have seen it in the southern part of my county.. just a matter of time before it gets here. I've tried to do my part by burning the eab wood I get immediately with minimal processing.

Yep I haven't really moved any beyond about a two mile diameter

Great load, but a sad thing to see. Thankfully not in my town yet, but I have seen it in the southern part of my county.. just a matter of time before it gets here. I've tried to do my part by burning the eab wood I get immediately with minimal processing.
if it is not in your area what in gods name are you doing bringing in infected wood?

Reactions: D8Chumley
if it is not in your area what in gods name are you doing bringing in infected wood?
Didn't find out until I unloaded the truck and started losing bark. Everything went into the boiler from there, even though it was getting warm. I got some free hot water off of it at least. Didn't take any more ash after that.. I've learned to check ash carefully now if it's coming from south county. I recently felled and brought home a couple healthy ash trees (it was either me or a tree service according to homeowner) that had no sign of the beetle and are seasoning nicely now, bug free.

There's a lot of ash around here, and I don't want to be the one that brings that to an end. We even have a lake in town named "Ashmere" by William Jennings Bryan of Scopes Monkey Trial fame.

I've learned to check ash carefully now if it's coming from south county.
You shouldnt be taking any ash from anywhere if your area is unaffected. Chances are it wont make a difference but that is no reason to be that irresponsible about it.