early morning maple harvest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Took care of this maple this morning. Sure was soothing to the soul. 50 degrees, light wind and no asphalt in site 20140315_092120.jpg20140315_092102.jpg

Nice little haul! Feels good getting out there after a hard winter!

Nice little haul! Feels good getting out there after a hard winter!

I heard that! We had some winter down here this year.I know you guys are miserable up there. We got a taste of it in January. Had some highs in the upper teens and lows around zero. We don't know how to deal with that down here!

I heard that! We had some winter down here this year.I know you guys are miserable up there. We got a taste of it in January. Had some highs in the upper teens and lows around zero. We don't know how to deal with that down here!

If it makes you feel better, its snowing here. Ugh. We had a few days in the 40's (which was awesome) and now its below freezing again. It will warm up soon though, so its not too bad.
I wasn't used to a high of -10 this year. Its my first year burning full time and it was quite the test. I have a pretty good idea what sub-par Ash and pine can do. I'm looking forward to having decent wood next year.
I can only imagine how it was for you guys. We have provisions for dealing with the arctic, but if I didn't have any of that, it would be really miserable.

If it makes you feel better, its snowing here. Ugh. We had a few days in the 40's (which was awesome) and now its below freezing again. It will warm up soon though, so its not too bad.
I wasn't used to a high of -10 this year. Its my first year burning full time and it was quite the test. I have a pretty good idea what sub-par Ash and pine can do. I'm looking forward to having decent wood next year.
I can only imagine how it was for you guys. We have provisions for dealing with the arctic, but if I didn't have any of that, it would be really miserable.

It was rough that's for sure. This is my first year as a stove owner and when it's cold enough(highs in 40's here ha) I burn it all the time. Ran out of good wood of course cause I wasn't prepared for it. That won't happen again. I've got a bunch of oak seasoning but it won't be ready this fall. That's why I'm loading up on maple, cherry, etc. I'll get where I want to be eventually

It was rough that's for sure. This is my first year as a stove owner and when it's cold enough(highs in 40's here ha) I burn it all the time. Ran out of good wood of course cause I wasn't prepared for it. That won't happen again. I've got a bunch of oak seasoning but it won't be ready this fall. That's why I'm loading up on maple, cherry, etc. I'll get where I want to be eventually

i hear ya brother

I've got a bunch of oak seasoning but it won't be ready this fall. That's why I'm loading up on maple, cherry, etc. I'll get where I want to be eventually
Today, my SILs and I split and stacked some Red Maple and a little super-dry dead Red Oak that I got hold of, about one cord, total. I'm not ahead far enough on them so soft Maple, dead White Ash, and upper branches off dead Oaks is what I'm grabbing to fill their stacks. I'm in better shape for me and my MIL, with a couple years' worth of dry Oak. From now on we'll be burning mostly Oak. >>

Is that hard Maple? Not as fast as soft but it should still dry pretty quick for you down there if you keep the split size down....

Possibly some snow tomorrow night and that's it! No more this year please. The kids will be in school until July!!!

Nice work, Im jealous! Ive been going at a big load of maple, but my front yard isnt quit as scenic as the woods :(;lol

Nice stuff. I got 5 or 6 maple that are going to come down if / when Spring ever gets here. Probably won't be able to get close to them until April.

Status
Not open for further replies.