Earth outdoor wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eddie Lee Franklin

Jan 6, 2018
Sullivan, Mo.
I have a Earth wood furnace, had a couple differant heating companies look at it, they say it is set right
I live in Missouri, heating 2600sq ft. I have burned 9 cord of wood since oct 15th of 2017. any suggestions?

Not many suggestions no - not much to go by in what you posted.

First guess is your underground piping is garbaged & you're losing a ton of heat to the ground.

Second guess would be that your wood is wet and/or green.

But again - no information to go by.

I looked at their video, a 20x20 firebox is very small for an owb.
Is your wood seasoned? I have a Garn jr and it’s been below 0 for a couple weeks now and I’m maybe starting cord #3. You are talking full cord, correct?
Maple likes to have lots of temperature measurements
My neighbour has an Empyre 200 outdoor and he chewed through a cord in 2 weeks.

I looked at their video, a 20x20 firebox is very small for an owb.
Is your wood seasoned? I have a Garn jr and it’s been below 0 for a couple weeks now and I’m maybe starting cord #3. You are talking full cord, correct?
Maple likes to have lots of temperature measurements
My neighbour has an Empyre 200 outdoor and he chewed through a cord in 2 weeks.

Well, at least one or two would be nice to see. :)

You guys are over where it actually gets cold. He's in Missouri! That's crazy to be using that much wood where it doesn't really get cold in comparison to where you guys are at.

Year house was built/ how is insulation/ how tight is it.

Underground pipe, wrap style?

How wet is your ground when you dug the trench? Rocky soil or sandy?

Temp measurement from when the water leaves the boiler and the temp when it returns both when nothing is calling for heat in the house and when the thermostat is calling for heat.

Wood species?

When was the wood cut?

Split or rounds? What size?

Loading schedule? Every 12 hours?

Can you please do us a favor and time how long it takes to go from high set point to low set point in the owb and it has to run a cycle again. That will tell us how many btus per hour your house is using during the current outside temp.

What is your aquastat set to? High and low?

House built in 1997, 2x4 walls,9ft ceilings, western cedar siding.
weather last week was below 0 or in teens. days it is this cold stove is loaded before work, lunch ,after work,and around 11pm @ night.
when in 30' it gets loaded twice a day.
wood comes from the farm it is mixed dry and green most of time.Wood doesnt seem to matter, this thing burns it all. lol
furnace sets about fifteen feet from house, shows no heat wear buried. ground froze when it snows, it doesnt melt faster there.
Owned this furnace about 5years
Momma likes it 74 degrees in house.

House built in 1997, 2x4 walls,9ft ceilings, western cedar siding.
weather last week was below 0 or in teens. days it is this cold stove is loaded before work, lunch ,after work,and around 11pm @ night.
when in 30' it gets loaded twice a day.
wood comes from the farm it is mixed dry and green most of time.Wood doesnt seem to matter, this thing burns it all. lol
furnace sets about fifteen feet from house, shows no heat wear buried. ground froze when it snows, it doesnt melt faster there.
Owned this furnace about 5years
Momma likes it 74 degrees in house.
Wood, white oak, red oak, and hickory

Please measure supply and return temps on owb and on the house side when the house is calling for heat and when it is not. Also please time how long it takes to go from the high set point to the low set point on the owb. Thst will tell us how many btu per hour your house is using.

Please measure supply and return temps on owb and on the house side when the house is calling for heat and when it is not. Also please time how long it takes to go from the high set point to the low set point on the owb. Thst will tell us how many btu per hour your house is using.
Just went out and filled it. furnace gets 24" to 30" wood.
Topped water off, and it boils out.
Temp outside is 21 degrees outside
The blower in house kicks off for 6 minutes

Sorry I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what. Numbers are what.

Please check the owb supply and return temps st the owb

Please check the supply and return temps before and after your water to air hx

Please time how long the owb takes to go from the high temp(180 it looks like?)
To low temp. This will probably somewhere in the 1-2 hour range depending on House btu needs. The time it takes to drop will tell us how many btus per hour your house needs.

I don’t think I like the blower in the door, I like having my blower on when I open my door.
I would try burning just dry wood for a couple days, see what happens.

Blower in furnace door kicked off, the ETC read 180
Used turkey bake therm return line read 100, other read about 160

If I am reading that right, I think you are underpumped, and maybe also losing heat to the ground. Losing heat to the ground doesn't always show up as melt on top of it. Exactly what kind & size of undergound pipe to you have? Circulator?

That is a lot of reloads - what is the shape or state of the fire when you reload, and temps at the boiler?

The 180 and boiling comments also make me think that the boiler controls might not be set or working right. And/or maybe also an air leak around the door or fan areas. No matter what else is happening, the controls should prevent a boil over. Are you sure it s boiling over - or is it just running out from expanding when hot? Once it does that once, you shouldn't need to add more water, only maybe once or twice a season. Unless it is boiling a lot. How often are you adding water?

Also - having constant return temps of 100 (or below 140 to be more specific) is bad for a boiler, and will usually cause all kinds of creosote condensation in the box.

You have major problem s with your system thst is for sure but you need to simply answer our questions about supply and return temps and we can tell you what the problem is.

Maple, hows the weather out there today? Were were to get a bit of a reprieve today at -9, but with the damn wind chill it’s -20.
Eddie, can you turn the ETC up to 200* and then measure your temps.
We had -29 or -20 F plus a wind here Friday night and I ran my Garn continuously until it hit 200*.