Earth Stove 35/50 smoke (fixed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Igo_Bill

Feb 26, 2017
Igo,California
I bought a used Earth Stove 35/50 and fixed the original control board. The stove performed well with occasional cleanings. A month or so ago it wasn't getting enough air across the pellets so I partially blocked the window air flow vent. That helped but then it started to emit smoke from the top. I found this forum and read a person with the same problem. Like him, I removed the chimney and the vent cover (4 nuts) the chimney attaches to. My setup uses the back chimney vent not the top one. Then I removed the door, logs, burner, access plate to the ash trap,& top plate. Then I went into the opening where the chimney vent plate was previously removed and dug up around with a coat hanger and dislodged some ash. Then I used compressed air and blew up into the hidden opening that eventually leads to the top of the stove and I assume the heat exchange tubes. I also used a coat hanger and scraped thoroughly between the heat exchange tubes and anywhere I could reach from inside the stove. This dislodged a LOT of ash and fine dust, wear a mask if you do it. I kept a vacuum going all the time, it helped. Very messy, never had this kind of mess with a wood stove, don't let your wife watch. Then reassembled the stove and it fired up and worked great. This type of cleaning was probably never done in the 10 year life, so it should last awhile.

This is awesome when someone comes here and simply tells of a fix to a problem. Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know this information.

Can we get you to do a small edit on the title though please. Maybe at the end of the current title, put in parenthesis the word (fixed) or something like that so when someone searches for the issue, they can see how you fixed it?

This is awesome when someone comes here and simply tells of a fix to a problem. Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know this information.

Can we get you to do a small edit on the title though please. Maybe at the end of the current title, put in parenthesis the word (fixed) or something like that so when someone searches for the issue, they can see how you fixed it?

Not sure how to edit an existing post, any place with instructions?

Thanks

Ok, I figured it out, title changed. igo_bill

Really appreciate the info for this stove and good to know the area that clogs up over time. Have you ever thought about disconnecting the vac switch and doing the Leaf Blower Trick? Wondering if it is as effective as the cleaning you did...