jetsam Posted By jetsam, Nov 30, 2018 at 1:43 PM

1. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Very near Anchorage. Some news outlets reporting magnitude 6ish, I saw one report that it was 7.7.

Stay safe, southern Alaska guys.

2. AlbergSteve

AlbergSteve
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2017
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    He's hundreds of miles away if I recall.

4. Dantheman300z

Dantheman300z
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Northeast IN
    Interesting. As I am watching the movie "2012" right now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    My sister and brother-in-law said they have been cleaning up . . . mostly broken glassware, but they consider themselves fortunate as some folks had broken water pipes, gas pipes, etc.

--

Jon and I are okay. The hospital had some structural damage, parts flooding, and lots of damage, lots of patients, Jon's work had lots of damage with cars coming off there stands some violent shaking. Our home has no structural damage, mainly just affecting our kitchen nothing left in the cupboards and on shelfs almost all dishes broken and a huge mess, but no broken pipes or oil lines. No power still. The devastation of the area is astounding.

jetsam likes this.
  6. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Apparently they got more little earthqakes all day today, too.

Some of the roads really got trashed. I know how to fix most things, but don't know how you fix "gaping fissure that looks like it may start spewing lava and/or angry Mole People at any moment". Maybe you just pour in truckloads of fill until it's full?

No doubt the Alaska DOT already knows how to fix it. They are so cool that they have HOWITZERS, so a few building sized potholes should be no worry. :)

7. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's a serious quake. There have been many aftershocks in the 5.0 range and the fault settles down. That has to be disquieting and stressful to say the least. Final strength listed at 7.0.

From the AK earthquake FB page:

Statement from the Mat-Su Borough:

"At 8:29 a.m. Alaska time there was a 7.0 magnitude Earthquake, 25 miles deep located 35 miles southwest of Palmer, Alaska according the Palmer Tsunami center.

Of the ~650 aftershocks that have been reported, 17 have been larger than magnitude 4.

8. Poindexter

Poindexter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I am fine fellas, 360 miles north of that.

I was working on a guys toe and thought I was hurting him because the toe was moving around, turned out it was the floor moving under my feet. Kinda nauseating having one's frame of reference twisted all up like that.

Some folks up here slept right through it.

9. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY

I've always had luck dealing with mole people in the same way I deal with zombies, but you have to be faster, cause those mole people are quick!

The road crews can use the howitzers.

10. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I bet they get a lot of stern letters from the public after walking howitzer fire down a major road due to mole people sightings...

11. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  12. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Call the DOT. This is just one more example of a problem that can be solved with howitzers.

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  14. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
  15. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    1288406_1.jpg