Easy cheap tarp hold-downs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
I’m not sure where I should post this but I figured its about tarps weights for our wood so I put in The Wood Shed forum... I’ve been making these cheap and easy to make tarp weights for a few years now and I make some more every once in awhile. I was just out covering my racks and I thought I’d show them here. I just put some Redi-Mix in a ice cream bucket, mix it with water and put in whatever size food can you want to and put a 50 cent hook in it and let it dry. They keep the canvas tarps I use anchored fairly well and I like them better than using bungee cords. Give them a try. F426F566-BCA6-429A-9FCF-CA1B994FB67A.jpeg3D13F884-0C8F-4285-9884-62AC4FFE84D4.jpeg

Agreed - good idea. I just set up another tarp yesterday with pieces of logs to hold it down, but I don't always have good luck with that method as they sometimes don't stay or blow off. Might as well take advantage of the holes in the tarp.

Hint- use big cans. I’ve made some from Campbells soup sized cans and they don’t weigh enough to hold the tarps down in heavy winds. I’m making six more soon myself! Oh and you can hook two cans per hole if needed.

I dd exactly that with some Gatorade powder tubs, however, instead of allowing the full weight to hang on the tarp I use cord so that I can adjust tension a little better, I leave the weights just barely touching the ground. They've lasted nine years so far, and no reason to think they won't outlast me.

TE