easy starting Stihl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
I'm definitely going to buy a "real" saw, and a local business started just selling Stihls. My only problem is my shoulders --- a rotator cuff problem that makes pulling a lawn-mower cord hurt me for 3 weeks. Funny, I can swing a maul or buck a face cord with my electric chain saw without pain; its just the "pulling a cord" action that kills me. Having to do it 3-5 times to get the model started hurts just thinking about it

My question is if anyone has experience with the newer features on some Stihl saws --- the "decompression valve" found on some upper-level saws and the "Easy2Start" feature on a lower model. Do they work? Do they break down? Are they cool features, or a gimmick?

if you have problem with pulling, that ms180 with the easy2start will do the trick. with more parts it can break easier there is a trade off but for you should be well worth it

Can't help with the specific questions, but maybe I can give some basic info. The MS280 I use takes 2 pulls from a cold start with full choke, and then it bumps over. Switch the choke setting, and it's usually one more pull to start. One thing I've noticed is that I used to set the saw on the ground, place my foot on it, and pull. Now, I hold the saw in my hand, and sort of half-ways "drop" it while pulling with the other hand. Seems to take some of the strain out of the pulling hand. Just a thought.

I have Arthritis in my sholders ( from years of abuse ) and starting my MS361 even with the compression release can sometimes be almost impossible and really painful. My MS210 with easy start I can start even on the worst days with no prob. I bought the 210 for a limbing saw and now use it untill I have to have the 361. If you have a hard time pulling the cord get an EZ start, unfortunatly they are only available in the smaller saws so far.

Creek-Chub said:
Now, I hold the saw in my hand, and sort of half-ways "drop" it while pulling with the other hand...
Ja, that's how I do it. I throw the saw in the opposite direction, using its mass and inertia to pull against. Much easier to pull start a saw than a lawnmower.

When I know the saw won't start on the first pull, I don't bother to put my "all" into it. I only do a weak pull to get the choked carb to move some fuel cuz it would never run on full choke anyway. Only after switching to half choke would I expect it to start.

Here is my 2cents go to a sthl dealer and try a MS 250 easy start . A it has the easy start recoil plus B it has a primer bulb for fast starts .
I really dont think you would ever have a problem .

stockdoct said:
I'm definitely going to buy a "real" saw, and a local business started just selling Stihls. My only problem is my shoulders --- a rotator cuff problem that makes pulling a lawn-mower cord hurt me for 3 weeks. Funny, I can swing a maul or buck a face cord with my electric chain saw without pain; its just the "pulling a cord" action that kills me. Having to do it 3-5 times to get the model started hurts just thinking about it

My question is if anyone has experience with the newer features on some Stihl saws --- the "decompression valve" found on some upper-level saws and the "Easy2Start" feature on a lower model. Do they work? Do they break down? Are they cool features, or a gimmick?

Buy the saw you want and pull with your good shoulder.

EDIT - I mis-read. You said "shoulders." Ignore the above advice.

stockdoct I have that same problem, of my 2 saws only one has a compression release valve and that make a huge difference. So get a pro model with a compression release valve.

webie said:
Here is my 2cents go to a sthl dealer and try a MS 250 easy start . A it has the easy start recoil plus B it has a primer bulb for fast starts .

Good advice, skip the 210,230 and go to the 250. I think it is the largest model with the easy start. My dealer said they have had very little problems with the easy start. Take it for what it is worth, but they have always been honest with me.

I too have heard good reports on the 250. I've considered getting one myself because of the same problem. If nothing else, it is lighter too and that would certainly make limbing easier. You may not want to cut many 3' diameter trees with that saw but it will probably do everything else you want it to do. Stihl also has a very good reputation. I got my first Stihl just a few years ago and am very happy with it. No problems so far and it does all I need it to do.

HittinSteel said:
webie said:

Good advice, skip the 210,230 and go to the 250.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did, and thanks to all. I think I'm gonna like it.

Mike

congradulations on the new saw u will love it .

Status
Not open for further replies.