Eco Boost Issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've always thought auto transmissions needed a spin on filter that could be easily serviced but engineers don't seem to think so.
Oh man, I can't agree with that enough! They do it on heavy equipment...but on an automotive application I bet its considered "unnecessary" by the planned obsolescent engineers.
But on the Honda I would be thrilled with being able to drop the pan and change the filter...or change the filter in any way other than drop the drivetrain and split the trans cases wide open!
I also agree completely with changing the oil regularly, especially on these Honda trans...the one I just bought had the slightest studder occasionally, but it went away after an oil change (3.5 qts, not the full drain and fill, which requires 3x drain) and refill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF...which is what all our Hondas get.
Anyways...getting off in the weeds from the OP topic...;em

Reactions: SpaceBus
I really wish I could buy a late '70s or early '80s Ford pick up with more modern options like better fuel economy. Things were just simpler then and easier to fix/ work on, but hey, that isn't reality. If I can't have perfection lol, I will take making the best choice I can with all of this great advice.

An old school Ford with an old school Cummins swapped in would be a pretty cool ride...and get some MPG!

Reactions: andym and SpaceBus
Even there you have to watch out for the particular Cummins. -there is one that is a nightmare to set up the valve train correctly.

Reactions: DodgyNomad
I do a service change on my honda trans once a year. I've always thought auto transmissions needed a spin on filter that could be easily serviced but engineers don't seem to think so.
Just install one yourself

An old school Ford with an old school Cummins swapped in would be a pretty cool ride...and get some MPG!
I am going straight body GM with Cummins transplants.
Have a Suburban that was my Mom and Dad's,no rust all original body parts
And a 1 ton dually crew cab.
And my fun toy will be a 37ish Plymouth Business mans coupe with a 5.9 cummins
I have acumulated a small pile of Cummins 5.9's the last one i got was on a fire pump with 20 hours on it,looks brand new still paint on the exhaust

I really wish I could buy a late '70s or early '80s Ford pick up with more modern options like better fuel economy. Things were just simpler then and easier to fix/ work on, but hey, that isn't reality. If I can't have perfection lol, I will take making the best choice I can with all of this great advice.

You must live where they use a lot less road salt ;). That era Ford were known for major rust issues. It wasnt just then but many rotted out before the owner was done making payments. The carbs were crap as they had a bunch of emissions equipment on them. Rip that off and then they were good running trucks. I know several folks who just went with sixties carb setup with manual choke. And of course the catalytic converter got replaced with straight pipe.

70's-80's is when they switched over to the powder coating finishes with clear coat over- problem was insufficient cleaning of the metal prior to the powder coating. if you are old enough to remember units running around with big rust spots all over and pealing of the clear coat. (thanks epa again) prior to that was either enamel or lacquer of some type. Ford used enamels for years.

I have been rebuilding a 87 Bronco which was the first year for the last 4th generation model. They definitely did not do a great job on the body seams. Lots of seams that were spot welds with no sealant. The two spot welded pieces would vibrate and build up grit and then the salt would go to work. The good part was that they finally went with electronic fuel injection and it really made a big difference on runability, fuel economy, horsepower and torque. I had the injected 300 six with the mazda 5 speed short bed 4x4 and routinely got over 25 mpg. It started in cold conditions everytime and idled which was a major issue with the smog carbs. Sadly many of the 4th generation Broncos had significant rust issues and all the options tacked onto the basic package were buggy. I knew folks that were on their 4th or 5th warranty AC compressor before they gave up and sold the truck. I can personally testify that the power tailgates were not one of Fords better ideas as I just finished rebuilding one from close to scratch. The tailgate was in low pressure area on the vehicle and it sucked salt spray into the interior of the tailgate.

I have been rebuilding a 87 Bronco which was the first year for the last 4th generation model. They definitely did not do a great job on the body seams. Lots of seams that were spot welds with no sealant. The two spot welded pieces would vibrate and build up grit and then the salt would go to work. The good part was that they finally went with electronic fuel injection and it really made a big difference on runability, fuel economy, horsepower and torque. I had the injected 300 six with the mazda 5 speed short bed 4x4 and routinely got over 25 mpg. It started in cold conditions everytime and idled which was a major issue with the smog carbs. Sadly many of the 4th generation Broncos had significant rust issues and all the options tacked onto the basic package were buggy. I knew folks that were on their 4th or 5th warranty AC compressor before they gave up and sold the truck. I can personally testify that the power tailgates were not one of Fords better ideas as I just finished rebuilding one from close to scratch. The tailgate was in low pressure area on the vehicle and it sucked salt spray into the interior of the tailgate.
I just got a Bronco with the first year fuel injection on trade for a 8ft canopy.Apparently it runs but there is a bunch of loose electrical components everywhere.Luckely i also picked up a 1/2 ton at the dump that was driven there that is the same year.Hopefully i can get the Bronco running with the parts from the 1/2 ton.I have a Western plow i want to put on it.

I had a few Bronco's years ago, last one was a 95 with with a 351, great rig. Had a 1988 F150 XLT Long box extended cab with a 351 also. That truck was also outstanding, one of my favorites.
My favorite Ford of all time that I personally owned was a 1988 loaded Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with a 5 speed, had leather and a sunroof, that I got new. That car was so enjoyable to drive, and with the boost turned waaaay up, that little 2.3 would send 5.0 mustangs and even corvettes of the era running home to their mamas in a race. Great car.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I forgot, I had an 89 Bronco that I brought back from Florida about 10 years ago, that was a metallic maroon over buckskin Eddie Bauer edition, 302, also loaded. That was a nice truck too, but someone offered me too much for it, and I sold it. Should have held on to that one, was a nice driver.

O.P. I recently bought a 16 f150 with 38k miles after I found out my 04 Sequoia had a rusted frame. Admittedly I knew nothing about the truck and so I researched forums. After reading that my 3.5 eb would either explode the next day or run forever, I decided to talk to some ford service managers. It is true there are timing issues....if the engine isn’t maintained with regular oil changes and a good filter. The local dealer has only done a couple timing chains on the 3.5. Exhaust manifolds can crack on older models and there was a tsb on the inter cooler pipes. Other than that, nobody can tell me anything else really that is a problem.
I’m no technician so take it for what it’s worth. I don’t have any concerns keeping my f150 and in fact, that frame issue really soured me on Toyota. Buy what you like and fits your budget, most new vehicles are all in all pretty good.

Reactions: andym and SpaceBus
The major issue i noted with those years was the shifting of the trans... If you were in cruse and going up a hill the thing would drop a few gears and redline the engine and just about send you into the bushes, not so much fun when pulling a trailer. Their was suppose to be a reprogram for this but it never worked. My boss has this done and first trip after the reprogram he drove to the next town and traded it in while he was heading out on holidays...

The major issue i noted with those years was the shifting of the trans... If you were in cruse and going up a hill the thing would drop a few gears and redline the engine and just about send you into the bushes, not so much fun when pulling a trailer. Their was suppose to be a reprogram for this but it never worked. My boss has this done and first trip after the reprogram he drove to the next town and traded it in while he was heading out on holidays...
I have heard complaints about the earlier ecoboosts with the 6 speed transmission. I have a 2018 with the 2.7 twin turbo and 10 speed transmission and it drives and pulls better than any V8 half ton I've ever driven.

I'm a big fan of the turbocharged engines for drivability reasons, the low RPM torque makes driving much more enjoyable than a naturally aspirated V8 whether driving around town or pulling a trailer.

Had a 2016 Crew 4X4 with the 5.0... 3 years, 80 000 miles, traded it. Never did anything but oil, air filter and wiper blades. Replaced it in May 2019, with a 3.5 eco, 10 speed tranny. So far 40,000 miles. Very, very fast... Slightly better mileage. No oil use, I do a lot of highway to my cabin up north. A trip to DC got me 24 mpg, at warp speed!!

Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
I have a 90 eddie bower bronco with a 351. Broke 2 of the crappy AOD transmissions so I swapped in a zf5. Ac cruise and all the power windows still work great. It did have some rust but not bad for a $500 truck. I live driving it.