Eco Choice PS50 Trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eco Choice PS50

Oct 29, 2013
Maine
I have a brand new (within the last month) Heatilator Eco Choice PS50 pellet stove. In the middle of the night, the auger stopped feeding pellets. I removed all of the pellets from the hopper, vacuumed the hopper, made sure that there were no bridges or other obstructions and replaced pellets so that it could feed. Still no luck. I unplugged, looked inside the unit (lower left side) and identified the #2 switch. I am not sure how to "reset the switch." I also pushed the reset button in the back of the unit as instructed during initial set up. Still nothing. We have only burned about 4 bags of fuel since purchasing and the unit has been cleaned according to specs since purchase. I am concerned that this unit is not going to be dependable at this point. I don't feel as though I should have to start pulling wires given my inexperience and the fact that this is a new stove. We had our coldest night yet last night and we had to turn on the oil heat. Thanks for your help.

When you said no bridges or obstructions, did you go from the hopper down AND from the pellet chute up using a coat hanger or an equally long, thin object? We use a flexible hose that came with a vacuum attachment kit we purchased. It's about 1/4" in diameter and reaches all along the chute, top to bottom and bottom to top. Have you changed to feedgate setting? Was the stove professionally installed (might want to contact installer - stove should be under warranty if purchased new)?

Don't give up... you'll get this figured out!

I would think it is still under warranty, call your dealer and have them come out and make it right.

Reactions: Eco Choice PS50
what the Ds said about an upper auger jam is good advice.
the only time in the 2+ years i've had my PS50 that i had any interruption in the feed was an upper auger jam.

a coat hangar is exactly what my dealer had me use when he talked me through it over the phone.
poke around till pellets fall out. up the drop chute from inside the firebox.

also make sure that the pellets cover the auger opening in the hopper before turning the stove on after clearing the jam.

hopefully this is what the problem is as it's a super easy fix.

good luck.

I would say the D's are correct and they would know.

Eric

Don't give up. 3rd season of the cab50 which is almost identical with yours and only issue was self inflicted by me. Rarely misfires, programmable stat runs it perfectly and heats the house with no problem.

Is the auger not running at all from the get-go or does it fire up, feed pellets and at a certain point stop feeding pellets and shuts down?

I thought I had a bad limit switch also my first year but it wasn't. I had taken the door off to clean and when I put the door back on it did not seal and would misfire. I did the washer trick (just search here) and corrected the problem.

There are guys here that install these stoves and should pipe up but what I learned is that those switches rarely go bad. My guess is the problem is elsewhere but search teh forum and there are posts about testing the switches. BUT I'd call the dealer first.

what the Ds said about an upper auger jam is good advice.
the only time in the 2+ years i've had my PS50 that i had any interruption in the feed was an upper auger jam.

a coat hangar is exactly what my dealer had me use when he talked me through it over the phone.
poke around till pellets fall out. up the drop chute from inside the firebox.

also make sure that the pellets cover the auger opening in the hopper before turning the stove on after clearing the jam.

hopefully this is what the problem is as it's a super easy fix.

good luck.

When you said no bridges or obstructions, did you go from the hopper down AND from the pellet chute up using a coat hanger or an equally long, thin object? We use a flexible hose that came with a vacuum attachment kit we purchased. It's about 1/4" in diameter and reaches all along the chute, top to bottom and bottom to top. Have you changed to feedgate setting? Was the stove professionally installed (might want to contact installer - stove should be under warranty if purchased new)?

Don't give up... you'll get this figured out!
Thanks for the advice...It was an upper auger jam after all. Also, the switch is acting up so this is going to be replaced as well. I will say this, there is nothing more frustrating than dealing with a stove issue when it is freezing out!

Don't give up. 3rd season of the cab50 which is almost identical with yours and only issue was self inflicted by me. Rarely misfires, programmable stat runs it perfectly and heats the house with no problem.

Is the auger not running at all from the get-go or does it fire up, feed pellets and at a certain point stop feeding pellets and shuts down?

I thought I had a bad limit switch also my first year but it wasn't. I had taken the door off to clean and when I put the door back on it did not seal and would misfire. I did the washer trick (just search here) and corrected the problem.

There are guys here that install these stoves and should pipe up but what I learned is that those switches rarely go bad. My guess is the problem is elsewhere but search teh forum and there are posts about testing the switches. BUT I'd call the dealer first.
Thanks for the advice. It was the switch and a blockage in the auger.

As little issues come up, and you discover you're able to work through them, you'll start feeling more confident. It really isn't rocket science... there's a learning curve, but it's not very steep :) One of the reasons we chose the EcoChoice stove was ease of working on it ourselves, and that has turned out to be true!

The only problem I have ever had was the thermocouple will back out of the protector.This year it seems the stove will call for heat and nothing happens.The red light is on and it does nothing.I press the reset button and its starts fine.I might want to look at the vacuum hose or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.