ECO Fan and gel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TrippRick

Mar 22, 2022
Central Mass / Poland ME
Anyone using fire starter gel as a way to eliminate using paper? Thoughts? If so what brand?

2nd (unrelated) question: Anyone using an "ECO fan"? I usually have my insert fan on auto / high but occaisionally I'd like it quieter. Wondering if low fan speed plus an eco fan would work. Would be quieter but not sure how much heat transfer into the room I'd lose.

No paper here. Fat wood and small kitchen butane torch.

What kind of insert do you have? I just don’t think the eco fans move enough air from the correct location (s) on an insert stove. I’d put that money towards a new quieter blower.

No paper here. Fat wood and small kitchen butane torch.

What kind of insert do you have? I just don’t think the eco fans move enough air from the correct location (s) on an insert stove. I’d put that money towards a new quieter blower.
Regency I2500

The fan on high works great and isn't particulary loud. When everyone is in bed but me and the TV is on (same room as stove), it would be better if I switched to low speed. However that reduces the heat transfer into the room. Was wondering if an ECO fan would help gain some of that back.

No paper or gel here. I just use a bernz-o-matic torch to warm the chimney for a moment or two, then blast it down on kindling which is mainly downed sticks and twigs from the previous year. Fire will take right off - no additional help needed.

RE: Ecofan - these are mainly a conversation piece. On an actual wood stove they might move just a breath of air, but you'd really be better to harness up 3-4 butterflies - you'd get way more air movement. On an insert (where the surface the fan sits on would not be the actual firebox) then you're one layer removed from that source of energy and the fan moves even slower. Plus - even at their "max" - they are just moving some air through the room, no directing any additional air around the insert, so no help in efficiency.

Reactions: EbS-P
I Have an eco fan on a stove. It's a toy.
I think on an insert it will even do less.

Reactions: Corey
No paper or gel here. I just use a bernz-o-matic torch to warm the chimney for a moment or two, then blast it down on kindling which is mainly downed sticks and twigs from the previous year. Fire will take right off - no additional help needed.

RE: Ecofan - these are mainly a conversation piece. On an actual wood stove they might move just a breath of air, but you'd really be better to harness up 3-4 butterflies - you'd get way more air movement. On an insert (where the surface the fan sits on would not be the actual firebox) then you're one layer removed from that source of energy and the fan moves even slower. Plus - even at their "max" - they are just moving some air through the room, no directing any additional air around the insert, so no help in efficiency.
Great info...thanks!

I dont have a top stove fan but the idea is to create an airflow direction for heat to flow. The process is very slow but maywork over time. Its like the residual heating heading towards an outward direction oppose to simply going up towards the ceiling then out. The problem is that people cant see the aire current nor the slow distribution of heat, so they assume it does not work. The problem with the fans, which is what I use, is that it cools the hot air too quickly if the fan speed it too fast. I placed a switch to lower the speed of the fan but not sure how effective it really is due to the same reason for these small stove top fans. It takes time for residual heated air to travel and heat other areas. If your house has good air flow and current, then it alone will help to heat the house even without a fan but if you have low air current and minimal bodies walking around to help create the current, a fan may increase the heating process....its all about the invisible more then the visible.

I like the eco fan. It doesn’t really move enough air but I have a visual reference on the burn cycle of my stove.

First good fire of the year and I had my phone handy, so here is a Freebreeze fan in action!!

Stovetop is just creeping over 600°F. Admittedly this is an insert, so the double wall construction does block some of the heat. But still - as has been said - the fan is a fun, spinny thing to look at, but as far as moving any air... well, you can be the judge:

PS - Yeah, that candle was only on the stovetop long enough to shoot the video, the immediately removed! lol. Even in that time, it melted a tiny bit on the bottom!

Last edited: