Econoburn enters the O.W.B. market

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Econoburn are marketing a Gassifying OWB, very different.

If I was them I would not use the term OWB at all. Nasty connotation.

I think that you will soon see the term OWB have a new meaning. With all the proposed regulations currently being implemented the term OWB will mean Outdoor Wood Gasification Boiler. The old OWB are going the way of the dinosaur.
I am sure the current OWB manufacturers will have to move forward into a new era of true down draft gasification outdoor boilers just to stay competitive. The folks at Econoburn are marching to the front of the pack with the introduction of the Outdoor Econoburn. Using the tested and proven design of the indoor Econoburn the outdoor version is just another rung on the ladder to success for the folks at Econoburn.

I can't help it, the term OWB conjures awfull images of smoke monsters and ugly black stains. Maybe Remote Gasification Boiler... RGB. Won't be that important in the end as you say. Very glad to see Econoburn building a fine replacement for some of these monsters.

WRboiler said:
I can't help it, the term OWB conjures awfull images of smoke monsters and ugly black stains. Maybe Remote Gasification Boiler... RGB. Won't be that important in the end as you say. Very glad to see Econoburn building a fine replacement for some of these monsters.

I agree that the term OWB will always be thought of as the old technology. From a marketing standpoint I think they need to come up with a better term and they should be very diligent in using it. Even with legislation going into effect, you'll still have local people building and trying to sell old style OWB's under the radar. I think this will be a great product, but the trick will be in the marketing and educating the masses.

OWGB. Just as you said. Outdoor Wood Gasification Boiler. That way when you educate... you can tell people there is a difference between OWB and OWGB. Then you can segway into the difference of how OWB work and how the OWGB work. I am sure after this 5 minute dealer education intro... the customer will realize the benefits. I have said this in a post already. When I was thinking of buying my Tarm.. the only thing that scared me was " How come I have never seen one of these?..or heard of gasification? ". Once I researched and found out it was a solid idea and had been used for many years in europe and there were thousands in use... and i saw all the Tarms at the warehouse in Lyme NH( and these people were top notch.. patient, answered all my questions) .. and had Hearth.com.... THEN.. i decided to buy one. I still think dealers of these may want to have a way to make their potential customers feel more comfortable with this technology.

I think Econoburn is on the right track. IN fact... since OWB were(are?) so popular... people might be drawn to the product because it is a OWB and then might even figure out they want the indoor model. I mean.... everyone in my area knows what an OWB is.. they are everywhere. SO... this is a great way to capture those people who have heard of this product(OWB) and then move them into the other market ( OWGB) .

For example if I was on a mission to get an OWB, I might look at these products.

If I was a potential OWB buyer( and not educated about gasification) why would I stop and research this indoor gasification wood boiler? I mean isn't that a fringe market idea that no one has around here? ( sarcasm meant to show you how OWB are thinking )I want a OWB not some weird European thing that no one around here has. I can''t even see one in use? I mean Joe Findlewhig has an OWB.. I Know what it is and how it works... he even invited me over to see it. cough cough. ( all sarcasm to show you how people are thinking when buying a OWB)

Econoburn needs to take it one step more. Get a bunch of dealers who sell your OWGB in places where the OWB are being sold. Make them visible. The old OWB will not be able to compete... if you can have good price.. and show customer how much better deal it is.

I like it. Econoburn OWGB I'll have to have the factory trademark or copywrite that!

Royalties for me? Maybe send me a free econoburn and i can test it to see if i like it better than my Tarm?

I'll check, but don't hold your breath. If not I could give you a great deal on a Econoburn OWGB!

One thing I would strongly recommend is to send all sold boilers with a moisture meter. It shouldn't be that hard to find a supplier and most of the problems new (and old like me) have is with their wood supply. A few users that try and burn their boilers with wet wood can give a boiler a bad rep in a hurry even though its not the fault of the boiler. I wish there was a way to include a cord of wood for the set-up period but shipping would kill you so a meter would be the next best thing. Without the buyer knowing exactly what their trying to burn, its almost impossible to get the boiler running correctly. Joe Blow wood delivery guy states that his wood has been cut and split for 17 years and it'll burn good in any boiler.....a meter tells the operator exactly where they are. The buyer that is replacing his rotted out OWB is going to place this boiler in the same location and he will be using the same unsplit, freshly cut wood and expect it to gasify and produce more heat without smoke as his old unit. When he calls upset that its not working, a question on his wood quality can be answered with the included meter and I think this would help allot. Buyers like me are cheap and they have been burning wood long enough that we know what dry wood is, but I was totally wrong, and a borrowed moisture meter proved it to me.

I have to say that I have been using that abbreviation for my database pages for several months. I have IWB, IWGB, OWB, and OWGB... ;)

I actually think OWGB would be a good distinction for people to make with these units. There is a huge stigma building in some areas around smoke dragons and a lot of the regulations use the OWB abbreviation, so it is now associated with air pollution. This seems like a good alternative.

Here is an example of how hard OWB manuf. are having to work at changing perception: http://www.outdoorfurnacefacts.com/wood-corn-heating-facts/myths-vs-facts/index.html

I guess I must defer my royalties(nonexistant) to WoodnotOil. Looks like he had the OWGB name first. How about if you go with OWB(G)? Can i have my royalties back?

sdrobertson said:
One thing I would strongly recommend is to send all sold boilers with a moisture meter. It shouldn't be that hard to find a supplier and most of the problems new (and old like me) have is with their wood supply. A few users that try and burn their boilers with wet wood can give a boiler a bad rep in a hurry even though its not the fault of the boiler. I wish there was a way to include a cord of wood for the set-up period but shipping would kill you so a meter would be the next best thing. Without the buyer knowing exactly what their trying to burn, its almost impossible to get the boiler running correctly. Joe Blow wood delivery guy states that his wood has been cut and split for 17 years and it'll burn good in any boiler.....a meter tells the operator exactly where they are. The buyer that is replacing his rotted out OWB is going to place this boiler in the same location and he will be using the same unsplit, freshly cut wood and expect it to gasify and produce more heat without smoke as his old unit. When he calls upset that its not working, a question on his wood quality can be answered with the included meter and I think this would help allot. Buyers like me are cheap and they have been burning wood long enough that we know what dry wood is, but I was totally wrong, and a borrowed moisture meter proved it to me.

Good Post

flyingcow said:
sdrobertson said:

Ditto on that!!!

I'm going to throw in a free moisture meter with all of my Econoburn sales. I think you are right about the need to have the customer aware of what the true moisture content of their firewood is. The most common problem and almost always the problem is a customer who thinks that his or her firewood is dry enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.