Econoburn Ewb 300 boiler chemicals needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
About to fill my 300 with water for start up this weekend. Are any chemicals needed ? I’m going to use softened water so hardness is not an issue . I have the water report for the softened water if needed. With my storage , the total capacity is about 1700 gallons. If I need to add boiler chemicals, let me know what you use . Thanks Mark

I didn't use any on my system,but according to the guy who helped me,our water is the best in the Yukon for hydronic systems.
He did lend me a filter that i ran the water through.I did a whole system clean with biodegradable cleaner.All my copper pipe came from an old system,plus most of my fittings were recycled,and repurposed propane tanks.So a good clean seemed like a good idea.
The water at the bottom of the tanks remains crystal clear when i check it in the fall befor starting the boiler.
One of the advantages of a closed system is once it is dialed in there should be no issues with the water unless you open it up and allow oxygen to infiltrate the water.

I used corrshield NT4207 as an oxygen scavenger, along with a nitrate test kit and works great. I think 1100gallons took about 5gallons of chemical. Any idea how hard your raw water is? Or what the Ph is?

I used corrshield NT4207 as an oxygen scavenger, along with a nitrate test kit and works great. I think 1100gallons took about 5gallons of chemical. Any idea how hard your raw water is? Or what the Ph is?
My raw water has 7 grains hardness and 8.0 ph , the softened water has 8.5 ph and >1 grains hardness

I dont have an EB, but when I filled my system, I spent a few days ahead of time cleaning and PH adjusting the water in our backyard above ground pool, and then drained that into my system. The boiler gods might throw a red flag at that move, but that's what I did.

Hi Mark, thats a good sign if you are ready to fill, installation is a big job (I know) so a congratulations in order. Based on Dale's recommendation I went with "Rectorseal 8 Way" . One quart per 30 gallons of water is recommended on the bottle. Comes in quarts or gallons and available at plumbing supply houses locally or on Amazon or supply house online. Good luck with that first fire up its a big day. Bruce

Attachments

• DSCF0802.JPG
    DSCF0802.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 99
I bought a 5 gal bucket of Chemworld wood boiler #830 , recommended to use with softened water. Hardness and alkalinity are the 2 main factors in boiler longevity, this product has oxygen scavenging chemicals along with anti corrosion properties . With a closed system, once the water is corrected, a yearly check is needed and an adjustment made.
Bruce thanks for your help answering my questions, one more though, do you have the model # of the aquastat on your boiler ? I understand that all Econoburn boilers use the same Honeywell L4006A- aquastat. Question is there are many L4006A aquastats on Supplyhouse.
The plumbing of the 3 tanks then to the boiler was a feat in itself, not to make excuses but , I was not able to find a pipe threader to rent so I had to order pipe from Supplyhouse, thank god for free shipping. My UPS driver is relieved that I’m almost finished with the boiler.

Mark , Just went and checked my aquastat. It is L4006A -1827 , which is described as a 100-240 deg range, break on rise (sw opens at 190 deg to shut off my boiler blower in an overtemp). There are so many based on the functionality and how you want to use the switch. Bruce

Thanks Bruce , looks like start up won’t be until Wednesday, I had an order from Supply house delivered by UPS and the box was damaged and I was missing a few fittings. Supplyhouse was quick to replace the missing items but I won’t ge them until Tuesday . Another question , did you use well water or softened water when you first filled your boiler? With the Chemworld wood boiler chemical I bought it states you could use either . Just trying to cover all bases.

Mark, actually was probably a combination of both because I have 500 gals of storage that I filled from the house , so started out with some softened then went hard as the fill progressed. Good luck with your first burn , you're just in time for a cold week , Bruce