Econoburn modification: did it work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boilermaster28

Oct 14, 2021
Delta Junction Alaska
Hi there! I’ve been reading some old posts by mpoyneer on modifying his Econoburn boiler. I just recently installed a brand new (in 2008) econoburn 150 that hasn’t ever had a fire in it until this last Saturday. I am interested to know if the modification to stop the draft fan from running after the fire went out worked well in the long run. I see where he used a relay and a bypass switch to solve this issue. I copied the post below:

"cooling Fan" problem solved!

Omron LY2-AC110/120 DPDT relay wired in the power supply to the Nimbus (terminals "N" and "L")
- opens circuit on the alarm 1 setpoint via terminals 9 and 10 on the TC33 controller
- You have to make sure the Function for alarm 1 is set to "Low Alarm" by setting "A1Fu" to "0"
- pump must be wired directly to power and not controlled by the boiler controls

Just would like to know if this worked well in the long run. Is there a way to contact this member?

Thanks,

Roy

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Hi Neighbor
I have the 200 installed at my home with storage.
Having the fan shut off after the fire is gone is a mod that i still need on mine.
I will be watching what you come up with.

Reactions: Boilermaster28

cumminstinkerer

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2016
central iowa
I have the fire done setup on mine, i love it, I can't really tell either of you for sure how to do it on stock controls, as @salecker knows mine had all the controls and wiring destroyed before I bought it.

Reactions: sloeffle

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Hi Roy
If yours is a boiler made in 08 it probably has the first generation of controls.
It was common knowledge years ago they had issues,i was told to run mine with the original control.
It didn't last and was replaced with the new style under warranty.
The new controller worked great for about 8 years then for some reason the main plug for power fried.
I was able to fix it with a plug from a computer power cord soldered to what was left on the controll board,and adding the female socket on the power cord.
Cumminstinkerer has homemade controls for his boiler and other mods that are fine tuning his to run more efficient.
I keep hoping for the time to work on a end of fire shutoff...
Maybe this year

Reactions: sloeffle

cumminstinkerer

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2016
central iowa
I have also made a couple of other mods that are working very well, got the burn time slowed down from maybe an hour per load to 3 or a bit more, also was finally able to get flue temps to stay in reasonable range, it will spike 450F then settle down in the high 300's. I added air flow controls to the primary air channels and added a couple extra bumps on the center two turbs.