Econoburn modification: did it work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I got through to Dale and he said it could be the temperature probe or the control board, not having the time to troubleshoot, I went and picked up both. It’s the same board that mine is , so it will plug in to the existing wiring. As far as relays go, I have my blower and pump shut down at the end of the burn cycle on PID controllers so I guess they are on relays. I’ll let you know what’s going on when I get it installed.
Do you have the shutdown working on the Econoburn?
If so how do you have that wired? and what else did you need?
If i had a shutdown that would make my life a lot easier,especially in the future.
Thanks

I wired the blower through a PID controller , which is basically a shutoff switch controlled by the temperature. I’ll try to get you the specific wires that I connected but the boiler is running full bore right now.

I just installed the board and there was no additional wiring to do , the board was the exact same as what I had , my boiler was manufactured on 12-27-11 and since then was only used for 2 seasons then I bought it then had it rehabbed. I had only used February and March of last year . Dale says my controller is the second generation, so yours must be first. It’s cooking now , so I’m going to get my 1700 gals heated up in about 10 hrs
good news mark thanks, and this is why i do an early test burn around Octoberand just use the heated water for DHW over several days. I too have run into an issue here and there that I don't want to find when it really needed. Most frequentlt its usually a pump issue because i havent excercised them all summer . I do that (run them monthly) now just so they don't crud up in the off season. Good luck with your surgery , you gotta get in shape for your next marathon.

Reactions: clancey
I made a few adjustments, added a barometric damper and last year the Esbe mixing valve . So with the improvements, my stack temperature never gets over 500 and my burn times are up to 6 hrs per load ,about 200 lbs of wood to fill the 300. One load will charge my storage from 120 to 175 in the 6 hr burn time. The Esbe mixing valve only sends 120 degree water to the house with a return temperature of 110. Instead of the 160 supply with a 150 return last year. Scrambling to get everything done before my knee surgery on the 16 .