edit!!!! Any TherMix experts here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
I have reason to believe that the thermiX poured insulation in my installation was installed dry. Is this a potentially dangerous situation?? Or is the water just used for a more "solid install?" I know the manufacturer says to add water till till its still pourable and not wet. Dont know how one would get all that out of the chimney without making a mess. The blockoff plate was sealed from above via an access door in the chimney so to my knowledge none of the dry thermite can enter the living space. Any advice guys?

Bump + I know for a fact it is installed dry. The access door has since been sealed and insulated.

Don't know the answer but now that you have typed the word "thermite" on the Internet you should expect a visit from some people in black Suburans any minute now.

Hey I fixed it please sir I fixed it as fast as I could. A pretty face like mine would never last in prison!

wxman said:
I have reason to believe that the thermiX poured insulation in my installation was installed dry. Is this a potentially dangerous situation?? Or is the water just used for a more "solid install?" I know the manufacturer says to add water till till its still pourable and not wet. Dont know how one would get all that out of the chimney without making a mess. The blockoff plate was sealed from above via an access door in the chimney so to my knowledge none of the dry thermite can enter the living space. Any advice guys?

Doesn't look fixed to me.... :red:

As long as you don't ignite it, the stuff is reasonably stable. However while hiding it in the flue might be original, posting about it on the net is not the best way to keep the secret. I would suggest finding a cooler location to avoid embarrassing accidents.... :coolgrin:

Seriously though, I wouldn't consider it dangerous, I would expect that the THERMIX will eventually draw enough moisture out of the surrounding masonry to congeal - possibly you might even accelerate the process by adding a moderate amount of water to the top of the chimney if you can figure a way to get it in.

Gooserider

Thats what I was thinking, just wanted another opinion.

What are we doing? Going from bad to worse?? Didn't learn our lesson with the Dutch eh?? lol

T

Status
Not open for further replies.