Educating myself on drilling a pipe hole into a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Inner Light

Jul 30, 2019
Northern Europe
Hello,

Recently I inherited my mother's house in northern Scandinavia where I discovered a large Finnish ceramic wood stove that still needs to be assembled.
I am trying to inform myself on the process of drilling a hole into a masonry chimney to connect the ceramic wood stove that you see in my avatar picture.

On the other side of the chimney in the kitchen room is a classic cooking wood stove that is frequently used in the winter.
On the second floor is a small wood stove in the master bedroom that is connected to the same chimney and which is used less often.

Since I am completely new to the whole phenomenon of warming a house with wood stoves I am hoping the kind people on this forum can help me to become properly educated on the process of installing a new wood stove to an existing chimney.
Especially what the necessary precautions are to keep in mind when drilling a hole into a chimney to which several other stoves are connected and which sort of pipe to use to attach the stove to the chimney.
Thank you for any information or advice given!

Reactions: eric1
Check with the local regulating authority. In the US, multiple stoves connected to the same chimney are not permitted. They dilute draft and can be the source of smoke and/or carbon monoxide hazards. Maybe contact a good local chimney sweep as well to ask about the best way to proceed in your country. Perhaps the chimney is large enough to accept multiple liners?

Reactions: Inner Light
As proposed by esteemed staff member begreen, I checked with the local municipality and the chimney sweeping company.
After the technical inspector/chimney sweeper declared it was possible for a third wood stove to be installed I was then granted permission by the municipality for the installment.

Currently my main concern is to properly install the stove pipe into the existing chimney pipe.
The stonewall chimney has 4 pipes of which the third pipe from the left is suitable for installing the new stove pipe into.
This is especially challenging to me because the pipe mount exits the stove at a slightly diagonal angle.
The wood stove pipe mount hole is 5½ inches or 13½ centimeters.

Can anybody among you fine folks advice me or perhaps recommend me some online resources to educate myself on properly fitting this stove pipe into the chimney pipe and what is the best pipe material to use to establish an airtight fitting?
Thanks for any help!

Can you post some pictures of the chimney and pipe that you wish to tap into?

This is a picture of the chimney wall (there now stands a electrical fireplace in front of it) and this is the spot where I want to install the fireplace.
I cannot show the pipe/canal that I want to tap into because it is in the chimney wall.
P9230864.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The electric stove will need to be removed in order to see what exists above it. If there is a flue and it is open, then a stainless liner may be able to be put in the existing flue with a tee at the proper height and a stub that continues down to the fireplace opening with a cap. .This will be used for cleaning the liner. There are strict clearance rules for the thimble passing through a wall if there are any combustibles in the wall. Have you brought in a professional installer for an inspection and estimate?

In the US, multiple stoves connected to the same chimney are not permitted. They dilute draft and can be the source of smoke and/or carbon monoxide hazards.
Same reasons why stoves aren't permitted in bedrooms here either. Hope the OP has smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors there. Maybe they are required?

The electric stove is a stand alone decorative piece that is purely electrical and does not have any connection to the chimney.
The chimney wall behind it does not have any openings and consists of a stone wall without any combustible materials.
I have had the chimney and stoves recently inspected by a technician and chimney sweeper who concluded there were 4 different pipe/shafts in the chimney; one for the stove in the kitchen, a second one for the stove in the bedroom, a third for the wood boiler in the basement and a fourth pipe/shaft purely for ventilation.
The wood boiler in the basement will be disconnected to connect the wood stove in the sitting room to this third pipe/shaft.
Also contacted a professional installer who is very busy and has not replied with an estimate for the work unfortunately.
I guess I will need a professional installer to locate the third chimney pipe/shaft within the chimney and perfectly drill an opening into it to establish an air tight fitting of the pipe between the stove and the chimney.

This is a difficult time to get someone to do chimney work over here too. Chimney people can be very busy and booked for months in advance as the heating season begins.

Yeah, that is what I reckoned.
Its a shame I did not come to the idea to install this wood stove earlier in the year, but I guess that is how these things usually go.
Hopefully the installer will find time before the real cold sets in.
The assembly of the stove is something I can do myself, it is the locating of the chimney pipe and the precise drilling of the hole and the fitting of the connecting pipe between the stove and the chimney that requires the installer.
Given your insight and experience how long would a job like that take?
My guess would be that it could be done in a couple of hours if there are no complications, am I right in that estimation?

The time on the job to do the job well is going to depend on what they discover and what their options are. I can't say if this would be a 2 hr or 6 hr job. It may not matter as they may charge by the half or full day.