EF2 Combustion Fan speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rceliff

Jan 8, 2018
Maryland
I just purchased a used EF2 pellet stove insert from a friend. I installed a 4" stainless liner in the existing masonry chimney just like the manual showed. The problem is that the flame seems to be like a blow torch and not like the recommended pictures. There are sparks flying everywhere every time a pellet drops in the pot. I have the slider completely closed and when i connected a mag to the test hole, the needle pegged past -.25". My question is how can I turn down the combustion fan so I can achieve the recommended -.12"? Is it supposed to turn down automatically and something isn't working correctly? Everything I have read, the combustion fan doesn't change speed. Any help would be appreciated.

On the EF2, the comb blower runs at full speed, you adjust the air damper and feed rate for proper burn as you have seen. Can you turn down the feed rate and the air damper should be almost fully in. Inside the stove, do you have the top baffle plate installed? its like a trapezoidal shape, locks in on the sides and backwall. If its working normally, you got a nice heater there.

SOLVED: So I thought the slider damper was closing all the way after pushing the rod in all the way. I removed the combustion fan motor and looked inside to find the door has a 2" gap in it. Apparently years of garbage had clogged the track and would only let the door open that far. A little persuasion with a hammer freed the sticking damper and the flame is now looking normal and the ash is significantly lower.
Thanks for the response stovelark!

Awesome to hear, enjoy that workhorse heater....